1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McNeese Beat/Lake Charles American Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by willie, Jul 21, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I can't speak for them, but weather could be a part of the situation. Lake Charles had a mass evacuation last week and was walking on eggshells this week. Plus, the SE is also the LSU guy, so that's been a challenge for the last week or so, logistically speaking.

I'm not intending to make excuses. I'm simply providing context...

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Brian, I agree the weather is a factor but from the guy and gal I spoke with, they had contact the folks there back in July. There weren't any mass evacuations then. I think that's why they may be miffed.

3. Friend says it's still not filled. What are they doing if they don't have a beat writer? It's the middle of football season.

4. BrianGriffin

A former sports writer who moved to news side is temporarily filling the void. He's not too excited because he left sports to be able to do more 9-to-5 for his family's sake, but he's willing to take it for the team. That helps explain why they are moving slow, but not why they aren't communicating with applicants.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Brother and sister-and-law live in Lake Charles. Whoever gets the job, bring a few cans of bug repellant.

6. BrianGriffin

Can you pick it up in Huntsville on the way over?

I hear an offer is on the table. Don't know yet if it has been accepted, though I suspect it will be.

7. BrianGriffin

Brian Griffin's pipeline says position is filled, so long as the winning candidate can figure out how to get from Chicagoland to Cajun Country...

On a related note...(At least) one of the positions in Baton Rouge has apparently been filled, meaning another Southland Conference beat position will be open...PM for details.

8. Strange... I still haven't been contacted. I guess my dream is dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted