1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McNamee's smoking gun?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tripp McNeely, Feb 6, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Ace just nailed my first thought...but it seems too obvious. Wouldn't Mcnamee's attorney--or even the Feds--point out that Clemens could completely turn the tables on this?

I think we don't have the whole story right now...it just doesn't make sense. There has to be another side to this.

2. NoCleverName

NoCleverName New Member

Its plausible that McNamee kept the syringes, gauze and vial as evidence. Remember he was a NYC cop and grew up around cops in Breezy Point. McNamee knew buying roids for Clemens (and others) was illegal. As a former cop, he also has alot of motivation to do anything to keep himself out of jail. As a former cop, he knew that if he was caught buying roids he could get the heat off himself by giving up a bigger name (Clemens, Pettite, etc).

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

If he's charged with perjury, the statute of limitations is non-issue. The SOL runs from the date the alleged crime was committed (in this case, yesterday), it has nothing to do with the age of the evidence.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Evil, pure evil, Ace. I like the way you think.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Evil is how I roll, Luggy.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

After seeing how O.J.'s lawyers shredded the handling of evidence by the crime lab, I'd be surprised if MacNamee's souvenirs became anything more than that.

And, the issue of Clemens perjuring himself is a red herring. There are 16 ways to Sunday to deny an accusation under oath, see Oil, Flaxseed.

7. From his prior employment and his upbringing, he absolutely knew to have a CYA file. And, he knew that the bigger guy could always get away with things at the expense of the little guy. If Monica doesn't keep that dress, does anyone believe her?

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Where was the physical evidence at the same time his words were made public? Where was the physical evidence when he was "testifying" for the Mitchell Report? Why didn't he present these things - or at least tell Mitchell he had them - at the time of the report?

This make zero sense to me.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Well, we are already talking about it.

It will get out.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Smoking gun or steaming compost: You decide!

Draft saved Draft deleted