1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McNamee says he'll sue Clemens if Rocket sticks to his story on 60 Mins.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/03/sports/baseball/03clemens.html

Could get interesting if the lawsuits start flying. I guess this is kind of like McNamee buzzing Clemens' chin.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Also interesting that we've never heard the word "lawsuit" mentioned by Clemens or any of his lawyers (unless I missed it). If it all was untrue, I'd be filing a lawsuit the next day.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

One of Clemens' people said something to that effect. Basically "anyone who keeps saying it better have a damn good lawyer."

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Which isn't quite the same thing, is it?

"We are filing suit" would carry so much more force that what the lawyer said.

5. ondeadline

Yeah, that's like a coach who is about to take another job saying "I'm happy to be coaching at Disco Tech." It could very well be an attempt to lead you to believe that they might sue even though they could possibly have no intention of doing so.

6. Damn, I'm sure it's been on here before, but that is the first time I've seen Disco Tech.

Outstanding

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As my attorney said when I asked him to send someone a threatening letter,

"I don't believe in threatening to sue."

8. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

The first editor I ever had was pretty terrible but he taught me one great thing -- it's not a story when someone threatens to sue, it's a story when someone files a lawsuit.

9. ondeadline

Strangely enough, it never has made the Big Dance. (I actually hate when people call the NCAA tournament that, but I couldn't resist.)

10. nor should you

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This sounds like one of those issues where it's nothing more than a war of words to see who has the bigger dick.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

We already know the answer to that question.

And it isn't the guy renowned for throwing a piece of bat at somebody.

Draft saved Draft deleted