1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McNair apparently had no will

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not hard to believe and it doesn't just happen to baseball players. It happens to athlete and entertainers quite often. To go from say $50,000 to nothing is a drop. To fall from $1 million to nothing is a catastrophe.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Found your source...

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

SI did a big feature on this in the last year. Brooks Robinson and Johnny U were two of the former athletes to go belly up.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/1/index.htm

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Brooks Robinson and John Unitas didn't have $5M signing bonuses.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It cited anonymous financial advisers, agents and players associations. I'm no fan of anonymous sources, but certainly any of those three who went on the record would have to answer some serious questions from the people they represent.

I think it's a fair bet that SI didn't make up those numbers out of thin air.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Of course he didn't have a will. When you're 36, you think you're still bulletproof.

Um .....

8. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

While I'm not doubting this, how many adults age 22-36 regardless of occupation have a will?

Maybe this is the naive 24-year-old coming out right now, but some of the criticisms in this thread seem to be generalizations that aren't necessarily fair.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How many 24-year-olds do you know with six, seven and eight figure salaries?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

When you're young, dumb and full of come, you think that you are immortal. That why life insurance is so cheap and car insurance is so high when you are in your 20's.
    The most frightening part of the SI story is how naive the athletes are about where their money is and who is paying their bills. One of the first things you learn as a kid is the difference between a penny, a nickle, a dime and a quarter. I hate to say it but for all of their athletic brilliance, many athletes are simply suckers.
    Reading Torii Hunter's scheme about floating furniture just stunned me. I couldn't see anyone buying it.

Draft saved Draft deleted