1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McNabb speaks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, May 8, 2007.

1. melock

melock Active Member

BC-FBN--Eagles-McNabb Speaks,0439
    McNabb breaks silence on Eagles drafting QB
    By ROB MAADDI
    AP Sports Writer

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Donovan McNabb had the same reaction most fans had when the Philadelphia Eagles selected quarterback Kevin Kolb with their first pick in last month’s NFL draft.
    “It was shocking,” McNabb said Tuesday in an interview on WIP-AM radio.
    Speaking publicly for the first time since the draft on April 28-29, McNabb downplayed the perception he’s upset the Eagles selected his eventual successor.
    The five-time Pro Bowl quarterback also said his rehab is going well following surgery for a torn knee ligament and he expects to play in the preseason.
    “When you draft somebody at the position you’re in, of course you have questions of ’What does that mean?’” McNabb said. “The most important thing for me is to make sure I’m healthy and 100 percent and get back out there competing and do the right thing on the field.”
    McNabb met with coach Andy Reid soon after the draft, but wouldn’t reveal details of their conversation. He doesn’t have to worry about his starting job, especially since backup Jeff Garcia signed with Tampa Bay after leading the Eagles to the NFC East title and a playoff victory last season.
    “If I’m healthy, it’s my job,” said McNabb, who sustained a season-ending knee injury in Week 11 last season.
    The 30-year-old McNabb has led the Eagles to four NFC championship games and a Super Bowl loss in eight seasons in Philadelphia. He’s finished the regular season on the sidelines three of the past five years.
    “I don’t think I’m close to the end of my career,” McNabb said. “People say when you hit 30, it goes down hill. I think it gets better after that. It’s unfortunate I’ve been hurt the last few years, but things happen.”
    The Eagles traded out of the first round and chose Kolb in the second round with the 36th overall pick. Kolb threw for 12,964 yards, 85 touchdowns and 31 interceptions in four years at Houston. He passed for 3,808 yards, 30 TDs and only four picks last season.
    “I think Kevin Kolb is going to do an excellent job for us,” McNabb said. “I’m going to try and help him as much as I can. I’m sure he’s going to do great. I look forward to working with him this weekend.”
    The Eagles open their first minicamp on Friday. McNabb won’t participate in practices, but will be working out at the practice facility. He said he isn’t sure if he’ll play in the preseason opener on Aug. 13, but expects to be ready for the second or third game.

Same ol' company man McNabb. You'll never know how this guy truly feels about anything, but you know he'll never forget anything. Whether it was draft day, Rush Limbaugh, the T.O. saga, calls for Jeff Garcia to start; McNabb loves making himself look like the victim and I'm a huge Eagles fan that is a supporter of McNabb. Hopefully this will inspire him to win the Eagles a Super Bowl and soon.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Did he speak before or after removing the pacifier from his mouth?

I bet Kevin Kolb is going to be the loneliest guy in Philly this weekend.

3. melock

melock Active Member

Sal Palantonio said right after the draft McNabb is a lameduck QB and will not be in Philly after this season. I'm just getting sick of all this bullshit. Shut the hell up, buckle your chin strap and go play. Let the best man win.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Isn't there already a thread solely dedicated to the E-A-G-L-E-S?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm sick of it too. The fanboyism in general here. There has to be some limits, right?

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Hopefully McNabb can stay healthy this year so he doesn't complain about Kolb taking the Eagles to the playoffs like he did with Garcia.

7. melock

melock Active Member

It would be Feeley leading them if McNabb goes down so you better pray he stays healthy.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Who knows with the way that Kolb may play in Training Camp.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

What a wuss. I can't believe he said this. If he wasn't such a baby, the team would have re-signed Garcia, who led the Eagles to the playoffs and the division title.

10. melock

melock Active Member

I honestly don't believe Garcia was ever going to re-sign no matter what he said. He wanted to start and he wasn't going to do that in Philly no matter what anyone said. He was just using his "love" for Philly as leverage to get a big deal, which the Bucs gave him.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Fair enough. Certainly wouldn't be the first player using leverage for their next contract.

12. melock

melock Active Member

Oh yeah....how is a topic about an NFL quarterback moved from Sports and News?

Draft saved Draft deleted