1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McNabb plays race card

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Sep 18, 2007.

?

Can we now admit that Rush and JDV were right and McNabb was overrated?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Maybe

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. No, I know McNabb is an ELITE HOF QB!

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I know McNabb sucks but I'll never admit I was wrong. I'm too biased and agenda driven

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Excuse me while I go throw up.

And, um, how do I go about resigning my commission?

Oh, yeah, didn't you ignore the first point in that post?

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Repent.

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

OK, at the risk of giving the world's biggest attention whore a boost.....

I'll admit my bias from the outset. I think Rush Limbaugh is a walking, talking, farting bag of catshit, who doesn't know nearly as much about football as he likes to think he does, and he made a dumb crack about McNabb to appeal to the quasi-racists that make up a significant chunk of his audience.

I think McNabb does get a lot of play from the media and he may be overrated a little bit. But that's not because of his race and the position he plays. It's because he plays in a huge media market, and he comes across good on television. Most of all, he's a great story -- the guy who was booed by fans on draft day has made Philly a regular playoff team.

I think a lot of guys are overrated, because they play in huge media markets, or they went to marquee colleges. Those are a lot bigger factors than race.

And McNabb is still a pretty solid quarterback. How many guys would you put ahead of him, based on current ability? He's just had real bad luck with injuries.

4. When Rush made the statement, McNabb was one of the top quarterbacks in the league. Just because McNabb isn't playing well three or four years later doesn't make Rush correct.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Good point, fof.

At the same time, McNabb is reaching. He's playing as horribly as anyone in the league and reaches for a crutch. It would be different if he could point to something that wouldn't get him benched anywhere except Philly ... but lots of QB's have lost their jobs the last couple seasons for stringing together games like his last couple.

Add in the injury risk and the loss of a step in the last few years, and he really needs that system revamped to use him differently. He's had the same Offensive Coordinator for almost a decade. He needs them to redesign the offence to avoid him taking contact and having to be a playmaker.

6. YOU'RE LUCKY HE EVEN PERFORMED FOR YOU BASTARDS

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's football. EVERYONE gets hurt. Not his fault. He had major knee surgery. He won't be Superman right away. How many other QBs are 35-7 ON THE ROAD during the last 5-plus years?

I'm non-partial to the Eagles or McNabb (because Romo is God :D ) ... but seriously, McNabb's going to need at least 8 games just to get back into the flow and to trust that knee. The Eagles are 0-2. Who cares? The guy's out there playing again.

And McNabb ain't the one who called a timeout JUST BEFORE HALFTIME last night so that Skins players could talk Gibbs out of kicking a field goal, which they did -- and the Skins scored a TOUCHDOWN instead to take the lead for good. Where's the blame for Reid for calling that idiotic timeout?

Edit: Re: 35-7 on the road, it might be 28-7, can't remember, but the guy wins games.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Re: Rush was right McNabb was/is overrated. Who can't see that now???

OK, I'll step into the cauldron.

1. Wasn't an issue until a few years ago. He's been in the league for 9 years, IIRC, most of which has been healthy. Has he been injury-prone lately? Yes. Has it been the hallmark of his career? Hardly. A footnote, certainly, but not what everyone will remember him by.

2. My feeling is that the knee is not completely healthy. If it were, he would be much more mobile. Moreover, McNabb has always shied away from running the ball; he wanted to be known as a quarterback capable of leading an effective passing game, not a scrambler. Your point is diminished because, at least in McNabb's eyes, he wasn't a running QB. (Though there were many of us that wished he'd run more often, because the game changes when he does.)

3. You gonna let a guy like T.O. shape your opinion on this? Please. Secondly, anyone with a set of functioning eyes will tell you McNabb is NOT the world's most accurate QB. Never has been, never will; I've seen it for years.

4. The two aren't mutually exclusive, as you claim them to be. If he leads the Eagles to wins, the fans love him, his praises are sung in the media. Of course there's always been talk that he's a management guy; does that really make him that devisive in the locker room?

5. Where do you see him blaming others? If he's in such cahoots with Andy Reid, certainly they'd rub off on each other, no? Then find me someplace where Reid ever - EVER - blamed one of his players for something. The only thing you'll find is "I did a bad job of coaching" or "I put people in the wrong position". I was on a conference call with him last week and his exact words were "I put people in the wrong position." And we're talking about punt returners here, not the Westbrook or Dawkins or anyone else. Back to McNabb: He made a public plea before they signed Owens; it made headlines because McNabb actually chose to be outspoken on something.

5b. The Eagles would have won were it not for two crucial special teams letdowns. Their offense sucked last week and sucked last night; were it not for the 10 points directly resulting from special teams turnovers, the offense would have done enough to win.

6. Go find me one Philadelphia fan - any one, and only one - that thought drafting Kolb was a good idea. It was a reach in a position they didn't need immediate help in, unlike, say, WR or LB (at the time of the draft). Secondly, he has no more control of his mother than she has of him. She's a free woman to say what she wants.

7. Are you going to let 32 NFL franchises dictate what you know about the demographics of players at each position? Here's what the number of black QB starters in the NFL tells you: That there are seven teams that have black QBs good enough to be their starter. Nothing more, nothing less. If McNabb says that African-Americans are reluctant to play QB, I believe I'd trust his opinion over yours (or, frankly, most anyone else on this board).

Look, I don't claim the guy is infallible. He's a good QB, not a great one. I think that lots of the pressure he feels has more to do with where he is than the color of his skin. But his perception is his choice, and apparently we just disagree about it.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

McNabb has indeed taken the high road ... consistently. He got booed on draft day and he has put up with the likes of Rush Limbaugh and T.O. He has been consistently above-average and, as a result, he hasn't had to hold himself accountable for much. The only exception is when he defended himself after TO called him a quitter in regards to the playoffs.

His accountability has been limited to injuries, which is pretty easy to defend because their random by nature.

McNabb is, however, losing the benefit of the doubt in a lot of people's minds. Hovering around average is fine when you're winning. Being exceptional is fine when you're not. Both situations still give you the benefit of the doubt.

He's seen a big change in the willingness to accept mediocrity, especially since Jeff Garcia came in and played fairly well when he was hurt. The Eagles also stirred the pot a little bit and spent a high draft pick on a QB for the first time since they drafted McNabb.

If McNabb misses significant time in Philly this year, it might be a passing of the torch.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Remember how Peyton Manning was viewed until this past season? Fraud. Overrated. He can't win the big one.

Seems like the sometimes unreal expectations placed on quarterbacks stems from position, not race. McNabb -- just the same as Manning, Marino and anyone else who takes snaps -- will be judged on wins and losses.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Hey, let's not let all this logic and disinterested argumentation get in the way of John's fan obsessions, OK?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whatever, jgmacg. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted