1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McNabb out for season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 19, 2006.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

1. I don't hate Philly fans or teams. I kind of come down about where Limbaugh did with the McNabb thing (and not based on racial issues): Everyone hates T.O., so they're rooting like crazy for McNabb to 'win' his feud with T.O. That's why the media went overboard when the Eagles beat the Cowboys. Virtually no one looked at the Eagles' incredibly easy early schedule as to why they looked so good. I don't like any foolish bandwagon - jumping, and the media was all over the Eagles bandwagon / T.O. gravewatch after that game. That's where I'm coming from.

2. T.O. - 2, McNabb - 0. T.O. pretty much ruined McNabb and the team last year. You had a lot of media (e.g., Whitlock, etc.) saying T.O. 'raped,' etc. McNabb. T.O. had the monster Super Bowl game and injury comeback, McNabb the throw - up thing. T.O happy - Eagles to Super Bowl; T.O. sad, Eagles out of playoffs. If that all doesn't count as a '1' in the win column, I'm not sure what does. McNabb's throwing up against the Bucs this year just solidifies T.O.'s 'victory.'

The 2nd 'victory' for T.O. is this year. McNabb's hurt again, T.O's team looks to be headed to the playoffs, and for the second straight year without (or on 'leave') T.O., the Eagles are looking to miss the playoffs.

In Kobe - Shaq logic, that definitely counts as another 'victory' for T.O. (if Dallas makes the playoffs). I'm not saying that's fair, but that's how it will be perceived.

2. XXXX

XXXX Member

thanks for clearing that up. but it is extremely flawed. when t.o. wins something then we'll count it as a victory. ok?
    needs to be mentioned t.o hasn't finished a season in 5 years.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I just perceive it that you're an idiot.

McNabb's feud? Please point to any comments by McNabb in which he is feuding with Owens. One. Sure, the media picked up on it - but because of what Owens spews forth, not McNabb. Plus, Owens didn't do jack in that game and the NFL is a week-by-week league in terms of praise and criticism.

You're win-lose thing ... I can't even express how idiotic that is. McNabb is hurt, yay for Owens! How old are you, 12?

Lastly, as far as the Eagles schedule - prior to today's debacle, all Philly's losses have been close - including three last-play losses (Giants, Saints, Bucs).

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Let me be the first to say:

You suck, aspiring. You suck.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey give the guy a break! Could you play in the NFL after several skin grafts?

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Owens had a monster Super Bowl for the Eagles -- but someone was throwing him the ball. Who might that have been?

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You're right, T.O. gets hurt a ton. I agree. As far as flawed logic on the "Who won" thing, I won't argue against that. You're probably right. But we both know people will be writing and thinking it and calling into WIP and saying it. I like McNabb, a lot, have since Syracuse, but the amount of vicarious hopes and dreams that he carries for many in the media are just absurd. He doesn't deserve it, and didn't ask for it. I would love to see him succeed. His 'waterboys,' however, I would love to see crushed. Unfortunately, that means McNabb will have to fail for the waterboys to be vicariously 'slain.'

No, you're the idiot, and you're letting your fanboy glasses get in the way of reality. That's your problem, moron, not mine.

Here's a quote for you: (McNabb, after being asked if he had read T.O.'s book) "I don't read children's books." (and that obviously doesn't refer to T.O.' new children's book, but his autobiography published this past summer). Want more? McNabb after the Eagles beat the Cowboys this year: "One man can't make a team - maybe break a team - but not make a team."

You're right, idiot. Definitely "I'm ok, you're ok," "No feud here" stuff. Don't play dumb, loser. Or maybe that's your default setting. Your boy got punked, and is losing the PR battle. That's not my fault. Don't shoot the messenger. The emperor has no clothes, or in this case a low completion percentage, and that's a fact. If you can't take that, follow another guy or team. But don't even think about bringing your weak fanboy crap up in here.

The media played up the Eagles - Cowboys game as the biggest game of the year. Yes, much of it was because of T.O., but much of it also was because the media, themselves, wanted to see the 'evil' Owens defeated. He was, and the stories of 'Justice,' etc. were everywhere. We all read them.

Correct. T.O. did nothing in that game. That's why Romo is starting now and Bledsoe's on the pine.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The win - lose thing, again, is not my construct. It's a general perception. Whenever the Eagles lost to the Bucs, the first thing I heard on Eagles radio and in the Inquirer was about how "Oh no, this is going to bring up the whole "Donovan can't handle pressure, he choked in the Super Bowl" stuff. I didn't write the stories. Again, don't shoot the messenger. I'm NOT rooting for McNabb to get hurt. Don't even try that crap. But there are people who want to see him fail, and if he gets hurt, well, that 'proves' they were right about his 'softness.' If you don't understand the zeitgeist, don't blame me. Unless you're one of those media types who thinks he creates the zeitgeist instead of reporting on it. I don't feel that way about my own work. I live fairly near Philly, and I hear people talk about this stuff every day. Tomorrow, it will be "Man, we should have paid T.O.," and "McNabb's soft." You can cover your ears if you'd like, I choose not to. Here's another criticism of the team that I already read in light of the McNabb injury: Why doesn't Reid give the backup QB's more reps in practice.

Losing makes everything stink, and winning deodorizes everything. We all know that. Let's not pretend otherwise, ok? I mean, we don't want to be, like, 12 years old or anything. McNabb has, and will continue to be, been called out due to the team's struggles the last two years. And it's only going to get worse. That's reality. Same way T.O. was getting grilled, correctly, when he dropped the pass against the Redskins. If they win, no big deal. But the Cowboys lost, so it's a huge story. The Eagles won't make the playoffs, barring a miracle. Owens (and others) criticized McNabb and the team. Without T.O., the team is failing. Was T.O. correct? That is and will be the story for the rest of the year unless the Eagles make a run with a backup QB.

You are correct, the Eagles losses have been close. And an average team loses about as many close games as it wins. The Giants meltdown, taken by itself, is an anomaly. Taken with the Bucs farce and the Jags games, it's a trend. The bottom line is, the Eagles are not that good. They're not horrible, they're just not that good. I didn't make it that way, the ownership (what are they, $13 million under the cap?) and the coach (Who needs to run?) did. Deal with it.

McNabb is damaged goods, and I'm not talking about physically. That's why a lot of his 'waterboys' dropped him last year. They got back on the bandwagon after the 3 - 1 start. Personally, I found that gratifying knowing how easy the schedule was up to that point. The lemmings got sucked back in. Now, with McNabb getting hurt, they'll have the excuse they need when the Eagles nosedive. But, like Culpepper and Minnesota last year, the slippage was already happening before the injury. I'm not saying McNabb's slipping, but the team was. If you don't want to believe that, that's up to you. Hoping and praying that this is the year that Westbrook can carry the load and not get hurt is just insane, given his track record. And when the season's over, it will be the second straight without going to the postseason for the Eagles, after 4 straight NFC Championship appearances. Those are facts, and a trend. Here's another fact: No T.O., no Super Bowl appearance for Philly, year # 2.

I don't write the movie, I just report what I saw on the screen. There might be different interpretations, but the key points are the same, no matter who's watching.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

The guy who threw up. You know, the guy whose dry heaves made them run too much clock at the end of the game when they could have used the time. Same guy who threw a slant to a receiver at the 2 yard line at the end of the half against Jax which resulted in getting 0 points instead of at least 3.

Like I said, I like McNabb personally. But too many people have too much emotion attached to him. And it's not fair, least of all to him. The guy is what he is: A hell of a playmaker and keep - a - play - alive guy who has a crap team around him. He's also not particularly accurate. But he's good enough to win the big game - IF he had ownership who knew what they were doing and spent the money they had under the cap and who didn't sign guys to contracts they know will be undervalued in a few years and . . .

It's the same for Peyton Manning. Is the criticism fair? Probably not. But it's real. That's my point.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

One post would work. So would not indenting 106 spaces for every graph.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep them in mind.

12. feel bad for mcnabb--hope he takes his time and comes back when he can be 100% again (don't need to rush back and risk the culpepper treatment)....

definitely a depressing day for philly fans. someone above mentioned that god hates us...i actually disagree--mainly because i don't believe in god. Not sure if i'm an atheist because i'm a philly fan or if i'm a philly fan because i'm an atheist (i'm sure that's been said before)....either way, you know things are bad when you actually can't wait for the phillies to start playing again.

Draft saved Draft deleted