1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McMurphy to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bloggers or blogs? I think they took a bunch of really good newspaper beat reporters and used them for cookie-cutter blogs. Heather Dinich and Chris Low and Brian Bennett, among others, were very good.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Don't be so hard on Schad. He had a huge scoop on the PSU announcement Sunday morning. Too bad it was about an hour after CBS broke the story.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is patently absurd. Brett has broken a ton of news at every stop. Congratulations to him.

4. I beg to differ Mizzou, I always had a saying about Brett when we worked together in Tampa and he was covering USF. He knew what USF was going to do before USF knew what they were going to do.

I will say that I believe CBS did a better job of covering the Penn State situation than ESPN did and I think that was in part because of Brett.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I talked to a friend last night and he said, "Holy shit are you wrong about McMurphy..."

I can accept that.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So, do you guys think Brett McMurphy is capable of breaking a story?

7. bdangelo

bdangelo Member

Brett was a tenacious reporter in Tampa. He could be a desker's nightmare because a) He wouldn't let a story go until the absolute moment before deadline; and b) He was constantly updating his story all night. (But I could -- and did -- accept that). Can Brett break a story? Hmm ... Jim Leavitt? Yes, I think he can. The irony in his career was that at first, he was so opposed to putting breaking news on tbo.com because he didn't want the competition to get it at the same time and put it online. Newspaper mentality, you know. He got past that eventually, and found out that blogging and reporting online was right up his alley. He will be a fine addition to ESPN.

Draft saved Draft deleted