1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McMurphy to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of my crew at FanHouse, one of my favorites among the many I've worked with, great get for ESPN, big loss for CBS (which has still built a hell of a stable)

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nice take for ESPN. Please don't put him behind a paywall like you did with Feldman.
  3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Brett's a great guy and I've always enjoyed his column, but I've never really seen him as a guy who breaks much news.

Then again, I've always thought that ESPN's college football coverage is pretty mediocre. For all of the people who they've hired, very little news is broken on stuff other than guys going pro and coaching moves, and most of that is broken by the same guy. I know the bloggers aren't hired to break news, but they have a good stable of people who you would think would do a better job than they do.

Brett's addition should help that.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

First, I'm not sure the bloggers are as good as you think they are (vs. the coverage itself, which, I agree with you, is mediocre).

Second, no one there has a great voice for college football that's actually, you know, writing it. Wright Thompson would, if he were on it. Weinreb does, but he's at Grantland, which buries every single thing written on the site to make way for last night's True Blood review. ESPN CFB writers are crisp, efficient, middlebrow. But not very colorful. Part of it, I suspect, is that they have to be on TV a lot, or shoot video with players, and this doesn't lend itself to color. It lends itself to a kind of appealing blandness that renders every question "interesting" and every answer clipped of its of joy.
  5. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Brett broke more stories on conference realignment than anyone else. He's been ahead of ESPN much more often than the opposite in the last year.
  6. Simon

Simon Active Member

Was anyone even close? I can't even think of second place.
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hey kiddo, change your avatar tag. You're not at Mizzou any more. :)
  8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

McMurphy not only broke most if not all of the realignment stories, his scoops were correct. "Clueless" Joe Schad is batting about .500 with his "scoops."
  9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I had heard Brett McMurphy would end up at another national gig. Regardless, he's a great hire and one of the top five NCAA reporters in the country. I don't care as much for his columns and analysis on football. But he gets the bigger picture and breaks as many stories as anyone, as others in this thread have pointed out.
  10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The list was long at FanHouse, too. Urban Meyer leaving Florida at the top of the list.
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With a couple exceptions, I think their bloggers suck ass.
  12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I followed McMurphy on Twitter specifically because he was doing such a bang-up job with the conference realignment stuff, even down to the smaller conferences (CUSA, Sun Belt and the like).
Draft saved Draft deleted