1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McMahon, Fawcett or Jackson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rpmmutant, Jun 25, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

To further buck's point, my life has been heavily influenced by Michael in retrospect. He was the first artist I could call my own, that I didn't come to by way of my mother or father. Music has played an enormous role that music in my life, both in how I've met people and in how I enjoy my spare time, therefore Michael has been a huge influence in my life. My parents might have given me a love of music, but the type of music I listen to came from him.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i sincerely appreciate the time you took to explain this to me, buck. thank you very much.

perhaps because of the three choices given, i was having difficulty comprehending, since i've never thought of a television talk-show sidekick; a model/actress of limited talents beyond being a pop-culture phenomenon, or a once-incredible, off-the-charts entertainer turned reclusive, troubled, controversial invisible man as anyone who would be influential in my life.

i am sorry. that's me. i'll have to re-read all my posts on the matter but i don't believe i've ridiculed those who have been "influenced" by these folks. simply that i don't grasp it.

even after your patient and thoughtful attempt to explain, i guess i'm just a stubborn dolt. i will try to do us all a huge favor by resisting weighing in again on this thread. we just seem to goin' 'round and 'round and 'round, through all fault of my own.

mea culpa, buck. oh, and to you, too, sc. although i understand it better now that you've explained mj's influence in your life. and i can honestly grasp and understand that better now. thank you.

but if either of you can explain in a similar fashion how mcmahon or fawcett could be described as "influential," too, that would be swell. i mean, that was the initial query, right? it almost seems like a which two of these do not belong deal.

now, if the question was who among mj, elvis and john lennon were you most influenced by it would make more sense to me.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not sure about McMahon, but Fawcett is a huge icon among a certain group of feminists, including my mother, as one of the first women to make it OK for a "good girl" to be openly sexual.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, you did say you "feel bad" for those of us who "need to find influence in strangers." And you and spnited both listed your fathers, which really has nothing to do with the point of this thread, because nobody was asking about "role models". Influence can be many things, and I tried to explain that in my last post.

Just because YOU don't care about the three subjects of the thread doesn't mean others don't, and it doesn't mean others should be "felt bad for," since nobody's asking for pity here. A lot of people don't give a shit about Bruce Springsteen, believe it or not. (I'm not one of them, of course. :D) But nobody's going to mock you for your fandom, like you're mocking those who may have been fans of Jackson or Fawcett or McMahon.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Buck, the question was flat out "Who has been the most influential in your life?"

"Influential" in my life to me means people who have affected or helped shape my vaules, how I think, how I live my life, how I relate to people and view the world.

You sem to be approaching it from a standpoint of influence on my leisure activities, socializing, whether I have this or that in common with my friends, etc.
    My love of baseball and my Mets fanboi crap, my Beatles and Springsteen fandom are, to me, a wonderful diversion. They have nothing to do with my values and how I live my life.

No celebrity, athlete, musician, etc., has had any influence on my values.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs over the defintion of "influential." But I certainly am not mocking anyone for their fandom.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Fair enough. However, I don't think this thread was started to ask anyone about their values, and you and shockey seem the be the only ones who took it that way. I don't think that's how the question was meant.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

1.McMahon.
    2.Farrah (But I had a Kate Jackson poster as a teen, and later couldn't resist Jaclyn herself or anything she did afterward).
    3.Michael.

Draft saved Draft deleted