1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McMahon, Fawcett or Jackson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rpmmutant, Jun 25, 2009.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

For crying out loud! I wasn't asking who was the biggest role model in your life, just who was the most influential. My life has been influenced by family members, teachers, coaches, friends. But it also has been influenced by Star Wars movies, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Moonlighting, Shakespeare, Hunter S. Thompson and MTV.
    Our lives are impacted on several levels. These three people, MJ, Fawcett and McMahon seemed to cross over three distinct generations. I was just curious where they fell for people.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please explain your definition of "influential" and "influenced by."
    How did Rocky and Bullwinkle or Star Wars or Moonlighting influence your life?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Man, you guys are really being assholes about this.

spnited, are you going to argue that, say, being a fan of the Mets has not produced an effect on your behavior at all? That your affinity for baseball hasn't dictated how you choose to spend your leisure time, i.e. by going to ballgames or watching their games on TV? Is that not "influential" in your life? You haven't chosen to keep any of your friends because of shared interests in music or movies or sports, etc.? Is that not a tangible "influence" on your actions?

C'mon now. rpm's question is legitimate. The sanctimony is unnecessary here.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

It was posted twice. It's not a big deal but I guess you want to argue about something. You will find no argument with me. Have a good one.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Walking through a Wal-Mart in a small town yesterday, I overheard, "The Tonight Show isn't going to be the same without him. Johnny Carson too."

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Apparently we need to sticky a Running Walmart Customer Fail thread. :D

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

my head hurts. wasn't the original question "who has been the most influential on your life" of ed, wacko and farrah? frig, the answer to me is none of the above.

why is that wrong? i'm not saying a celeb can't be an influence, simply that this list falls way short of that. so spnited and i weighed in that our dads were the most influential role models in our lives. doesn't mean there are not any ceo have influenced me, just that these three didn't come close.

springsteen? absolutely. he represents all the right things to me. i feel he's been an influence. thankfully, he's not dead.

john lennon/the beatles was surely an influence. but none of the three we were asked about had ANY influence on my life in any way.

correct me please if i've missed the point in any way.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, great. Good for you.

Go hug your dad and quit blasting the rest of us who aren't so lucky.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

not blasting anyone. just feel bad for y'all who need to find influences in strangers.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So none of your friends are your friends because of shared interests in "strangers" like, say, Bruce Springsteen? Bruce's music has had NO "influence" on your life whatsoever?

Either you're full of shit, which I don't believe, or you're completely misunderstanding the word "influence" and, subsequently, rpm's question.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

no. no. no. we've mixed signals somewhere along the way here. of course many of my friends and i share an interest in springsteen. but they were all my friends before i was converted to bruce. i mean, it's not like i went to bruce shows and started befriending folks at his shows, 'though i'm sure we have things in common besides the music.

guess i'm still missing the point on how i or others are supposed to be "influenced" by mj, farrah or ed mcmahon. i'm not playing dumb or trying to egg anyone on. perhaps because i don't feel i've been truly "influenced" by these celebs i don't really know.

many of my friends also are huge bruce fans. yes, we go to his shows together and we get drunk at parties together and sing terrible keroeke renditions of "thunder road" and "rosalita." hey, we do the same with "sweet caroline" and "paradise by the dashboard light," too. so what?

it's late. i'm tired. and i suppose i'm feeling dense for not understanding this whole thread.

my bad. life goes on.....

i mean, i've got many close friends who can't stand springsteen. i have great buds who are mets fans and others who are yankees fans. some are giants fans, some are jets fans.

so what?i like who i like, whether it be teams, artists, players, whatever.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, you're really not understanding this.

Look, here's my point -- most of us make friends in a variety of ways, and our shared interests in things like music or sports bring us closer to some friends or help us make new friends. I've made a number of friends through a shared interest in the Beatles -- therefore, it's fair to say that the Beatles have influenced my life, because their music has brought people into my life or brought me closer to some people who I call friends.

It doesn't mean I think of Lennon or McCartney as a role model or I want to emulate them as people in any way. It just means that my choices, and my life, have been influenced by their music, because I've chosen to spend my leisure time and money at concerts or listening to their music with friends or whatever else. The Beatles have impacted my life, in those ways, just like Bruce Springsteen impacts your life, because you choose to spend money and time and hang out with friends at his concerts and listening to his music.

To deny that influence because you don't know them personally is sanctimonius, at worst, or willfully blind, at best. It's entertainment. And what's wrong with making new friends at concerts anyway? Who cares if you were friends before you were "converted" to a band? The point is, you share the interest and that's part of what brings you together as friends. Why is it so hard for y'all to admit that those interests have had some kind of an effect on your lives?

And that's all rpm is asking. He was wondering which one of those three performers had the most influence on people's lives. Who did they spend the most time watching or listening to? Who made friends because of a shared interest in "Off the Wall" or "Charlie's Angels"? Who spent good quality time with their families watching "The Tonight Show" for so many years? That's all he wanted to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted