1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McMahon, Fawcett or Jackson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rpmmutant, Jun 25, 2009.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

All true.. but the parodies of Jackson's stuff put him out there as much as anything else. At least I imagine they did.

Either way, I'm a fan.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

His real breakthrough, though, if I recall correctly, were his MTV videos for "I Love Rocky Road" and "Ricky", a fantastic Lucy and Desi play on Toni Basil's one hit wonder.

And back on topic. Farrah, if only for the hours I spent holding her poster with one hand (old Steve Martin joke).

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Believe me, I'm not claiming Ed McMahon had any "influence" on my life. I was treating the question more along the lines of "Which of these three were most on your radar screen going through life?"

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Jackson's biggger overall, no doubt.
    McMahon to older generation. Farrah to middle aged guys (where is my poster of her?). Jackson to younger set.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm going with Farrah No. 1.

When she left we got ... Shelly Hack. What's up with that? So she was irreplaceable.

MJ would be No. 2; Ed was lucky to have a job.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome. Getting that doll that Christmas was the best gift I ever got as a child. Seriously. My parents didn't like Jackson, but they knew I LOVED him. So I got my little Jackson doll with the one glove. I was the happiest girl on Earth.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I thought we got Cheryl Ladd when Farrah left?

Which I saw as an upgrade, if you go on how one fills out a bikini, if nothing else.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe Hack followed Ladd. I liked Ladd, so I guess that puts MJ on top.

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Actually I think Hack followed Tanya Roberts, who replaced Kate Jackson. Cheryl Ladd replaced Fawcett and was there until the series ended.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Unlike Fawcett or McMahon, Jackson was a part of my life (I worked in radio when his stuff was still happening), but I really don't get the reactions so many strangers are having to his death. He couldn't have been anyone's role model, and his music was only played on '80s night at the junior high dance.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This is the worst game of Marry, Kill or Fuck ever.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

what he said. i, too, have been blessed to have a father worthy of being a role model.

in terms of this "he'll be missed" debate in which i've been chastized by some for ridiculing -- considering how unproductive the gloved one has been for almost 20 years plus his freakish nature over that span -- it came to me as i hit the pillow last night: sure, i understand completely why someone you don't know but admire "will be missed" -- but only if he or she is still entertaining you.

for example, in my case, if god forbid springsteen was to suddenly collapse and leave this earth, absolutely he would be missed by those who worship his music and concerts. the man is still producing albums and touring with as much if not more frequency than ever, as if he is racing time.

so if estreetjoe or i was to grieve, lamenting, "he will be missed," i get it. but given that mj has done nothing in recent memory -- save become a superfreak -- this is why i don't get the "he will be missed" sentiment from those who do not know him.

dunno if this makes my point any clearer to those who think i'm a heartless, insensitive jackass. 'cause i know i'm anything but. i just do not like phony emoting. and this reeks of that.

perhaps if someone was to give me a more recent tale, say, post-1990, when mj offered up anything worth remembering other than weird, controversial behavior, i'd be eager to hear it.

until then, that is where my issue comes from. sure, i feel for his kids and family members. but in terms of what he has given to me as an entertainer, why should i or any of his fans "miss him?"

Draft saved Draft deleted