1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McMahon, Fawcett or Jackson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rpmmutant, Jun 25, 2009.

1. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Thread title made me think this was a fuck/kill/marry thread. Whew.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For me, it's a no-brainer. Michael was one of the biggest parts of my life growing up. Had all his records -- and then everything on CD. Can't imagine music without MJ.

Kinda hard for me to put it into words right now. Still stunned. Unreal.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He asked her for a toothpick at a restaurant one night because he couldn't get to the dispenser himself.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ed McMahon for me.

Michael definitely made an indelible mark with his music, but Ed McMahon probably had more impact on my life.

I hate to say it because I was so drawn to her courage in her waning years, but Fawcett didn't even factor into the discussion in my life.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It would have been Ed if I had won the damn sweepstakes!

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Between "Eat It" and "I'm Fat," Weird Al probably could have retired on those alone. But he would have done fine regardless -- remember, it all began with "Another One Rides the Bus."

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Clearly you've not heard of "My Bologna," which I believe was his first song.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I Lost on Jeopardy, I Want a New Duck, This Song Is Just Six Words Long, Beverly Hillbillies (to Money for Nothing)...lotta classics in the Weird Al canon.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

As someone who owns the Weird Al box set, I'm embarrassed that I forgot that song before I hit "post." I guess I was thinking about the first Weird Al song I ever heard -- "Another One Rides the Bus" was his second single.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Who was most influential in my life?

None of the above, nor any other celebrity, musician, movie star, athlete etc.

I loved the Johnny and Ed Tonight Show, there will never be better late night TV.
    I was a huge Charlie's Angels fan... all of them!
    I could take or leave most of Michael Jackson's music and still acknowledge his pop culture influence.

What I have never understood is how anyone whom you've never met, never had a second of personal contact with, can be "influential" in your life.
    Maybe it's generational. Maybe it's the way my parents raised me and the real influence my father had on me...something I didn't appreciate until I around 30.
    Or maybe it's just my belief that we should simply appreciate the talents of "celebrities" and not idolize them. (Oh, wait, that goes back to my father).

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

:D You really are one of the coolest people here!

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What about writers? I'm not big on celebrities, but I consider the writings of Kurt Vonnegut to be essential to my worldview.

Draft saved Draft deleted