1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McKellen back as Gandalf

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This makes me very happy, precious.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jDm2h941Mut970anGoTNr2b5WMuAD90CCM180

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good news, McKellen was fantastic as Gandalf.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'll pose another question before taking off for a bit.

What do you LOTR fans think of the second story?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The Hobbit is a much better book than the trilogy.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

From what I understand, they're going to make two new movies, filmed simultaneously ... The Hobbit and a kind of interlude between that and The Fellowship of the Ring. Not sure what the second part is called.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm not sure I'm down with that, but as long as they don't a Silmarilion movie, everything's good.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed. I couldn't even imagine how you would do a Silmarillion movie.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

What, you guys wouldn't go see the creation story of elves? ;)

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I wouldn't mind if they'd leave well enough alone.

The Hobbit, before it was recast as "the enchanting prelude to The Lord of the Rings," was a nice children's story with what has become standard cliche fare about a dragon (with the awesome name of "Smaug") and a treasure hunt in which the wimpiest midget grows a lot as a person and finds a ring.

It's Apples and Oranges with Lord of the Rings, to be honest. LOTR was a story of epic scope that cribbed a lot from old tales and added its own doses of originality. As long as you got past the early parts of the first book, in which Frodo realizes the ring is so dangerous, he takes months to actually get off his duff and leave the Shire. Then they stop for tea about 50 times until the story really begins in Bree.

I do think "Thorin Oakenshield" is one of the best hero names in the nistory of fantasy stories. Maybe THE best.

But yeah, I'll see it. I just wouldn't have missed it had they never gotten around to making it.

SC: My thoughts exactly on the Simarrillion. Great that they incorporated aspects into the LOTR films.

10. You shut your fucking mouth.

11. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Yeah! *hiding behind DemoChristian*

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I especially liked the way they used Beren and Luthien's story to fill out the Arwen-Aragorn love story.

Draft saved Draft deleted