1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McGwire (finally) admits steroid use.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If this makes McGwire feel better, fine. But that's about the only real effect it has. We all know most players juiced. Baseball ain't about to go back and redo the record book. There's testing now, which may or may not work, but it's there. Personally, I don't much care.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Those lawyered up statements by Giambi and A-Rod were done to protect their contracts.

Had this all went down while McGwire was still playing, you could almost bet that his statement would be similar.

I'm glad the guy has come clean now. Telling the truth and being honest is always better than not.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Which Big Mac is worse for the children?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just do not see how it will now be possible for McGwire to ever make it to Cooperstown.

For voters to now change their votes would be completely disingenuous.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The timing of his announcement — barely a week after the HOF voting — was no coincidence.

It gives the BBWAA voters almost a full year to digest his confession.

By the time McGwire comes back up for a vote, he'll have a whole season of public penance behind him and this will be old news.

6. He had no incentive to offer details like using all the way back in '89 and '90. He gave more than he had to. I don't respect what he did. I respect him for coming clean today.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not really, most of the voters with a stick in their ass claim they want these guys to admit what they did and won't vote for liars.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But nothing has changed.

If you were a voter who did not vote for him because you felt he was not qualified you should not change your vote.

If you were a voter who did not vote for him because he used steroids you now have validation.

9. Someone called me an "asshole" here the other day for saying McGwire used.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

But if you were a voter who wouldn't vote for him because he was a liar, well, now he has come clean and that means you can indeed vote for him.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Both are supersized, right?

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Weep not for Mark. He gets to come home to his palatial digs at Shady Canyon in Newport Beach to this.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2U6jK7/sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/images/01/11/mark-mcgwire.jpg/r:t

Chicks dig the long, ummm....

Draft saved Draft deleted