1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McGwire (finally) admits steroid use.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wonder if this would even be an issue if that reporter hadn't violated clubhouse decorum and checked out what the heck that stuff was in his locker.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wow... Tough crowd. I thought his line about the past was a nice touch.

There's nothing wrong with the truth. Journalists are supposed to be truth-seeking, no? I definitely think better of him now. Wouldn't vote him for the Hall, but he's not a bad guy to me anymore.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with Luggie.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

McGwire admits and so will be denied entry to the Hall of Fame without a ticket. Bonds will stonewall and be admitted on the first ballot.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Both should be in. PED use was not limited to the 1990s and 2000s.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Bonds was a Hall of Famer before he started juicing.
    McGwire was not.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Because he's going to be a coach, so the option is come clean or duck reporters in every city he goes to for the rest of his life.

He's been a hermit since he retired. He knows every sat truck within 1,000 miles of Florida would have been at Cardinals spring training if he showed up without addressing this beforehand.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Steve Wilstein, then of the AP. Retired in 2005.

Led to one of the best columns Mike Bianchi ever wrote.
    http://www.ergogenics.org/wilstein.html

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Winnah!

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

How exactly do we know when Bonds starting using PEDs?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'd think the prevalence of PED use around baseball at the time, and the remarkable ballooning of both his power and his arms would have aroused some suspicion at some point.

The path might have been different, but I think the destination would have been pretty much the same.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, what pisses me off about the whole thing is the guy who bothered to check and report on what was sitting openly in McGwire's locker was vilified by much of the baseball press.

Draft saved Draft deleted