1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McGovern unloads on Cheney

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Apr 25, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Right, but you take an oath to the Army, and that Army is run by a politician.

What's the difference?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If you insist on pursuing this ridiculous talking point, please tell me, to whom are we going to surrender when we leave Iraq?

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

I have to obey his/her orders, no matter who it is -- so who's there doesn't much concern me, so long as he/she gives lawful orders.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not unconditional surrender, but undelusional realization.

5. Unconditional surrender.
    Hilarious.
    How many Americans who are not you have to die before you feel safe?

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If I were in the military it would be Concern No. 1 with me.

"Lawful orders" can be smart . . . or horribly stupid. Or maybe you don't find out they weren't so lawful until many years later. If you're lucky, they didn't cost you your life.

In any event, I want a smart man with smart advisors making those orders.

Crazy, aren't I?

7. three_bags_full

Can't be concern no. 1. The constitution is. No wire-tapping, etc., comments, please.

8. I clicked on this thread expecing a story that involved finishing and Cheney's grill. Oh well.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And pretty decent evidence right there that ILP! is an old hand in a new glove.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hard to imagine McGovern's 'I'll crawl on my belly' bit didn't go over better.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the count on how many generals have resigned over Bush and his war?
    Seems like it was a bunch.
    Our little excursion into Iraq will be viewed by history as one of the country's great tragedies, a multi-generational fight over oil that could signal the end of America as a superpower. The longer we stay, the worse it will be.

12. three_bags_full

Does anyone care?

Draft saved Draft deleted