1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McGovern unloads on Cheney

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Apr 25, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-mcgovern24apr24,1,1800867.story?ctrack=2&cset=true

Hmm, thoughtful and provoking. But lots more zingers, like "I volunteered for military service ... Cheney got five deferments and has never seen a day of combat — a record matched by President Bush."

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Cheney dreams of being a quarter of the man George McGovern is.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

49 states for Nixon.
    1 for McGovern.

35 years later . . . it doesn't seem as though the country has learned a damn thing.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And the "No shit!" award of the day goes to ....

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It might be "no shit" but what it says about our society is as bleak as anything anyone has ever posted here.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the Nixon resigned his office as a result of his actions in the '72 campaign.
    I'd even wager that even the Yawns of the board can agree that at least some of Nixon's victory margin was the result of those illegal actions.

7. three_bags_full

You guys get waaaay too wound up in what politicians say and do.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Policies matter.

The politicians who implement these policies matter.

Representational democracy, and all that.

9. three_bags_full

I take a pretty cynical view of politics and politicians. So, no, it doesn't matter to me.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Three_Bags --

I mean this question sincerely -- and I've put it to my friends in the military as well, with a variety of different answers -- but how can you serve in the army and not think that policy decisions matter?

Is it a defense mechanism, or partly so?

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I dunno ... Looking at it from your evident perspective, nearly half the country appears to be in favor of unconditional surrender today. The numbers for running up the white flag were a lot less favorable in 1972.

12. three_bags_full

Zeke: I have never, and will never, take an oath that says anything about politics or politicians.

Draft saved Draft deleted