1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McDonald's to pull tomatoes from sandwiches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Igor in CT, Jun 9, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Arby's had a sign on the drive-through window today that they've temporarily quit serving tomatoes.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

All this talk of tomatoes, and an inability to get one, is making me hungry. Methinks a stop at the local vegetable (and fruit) stand is in order tomorrow. Hopefully, the homegrowns will be in. Then, it's to the store for a loaf of bread some Duke's mayonnaise.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This is no great loss. The next time I encounter a decent tomato at a chain restaurant will be the first time. They buy cartons of cheap tomatoes that have been picked unripe, refrigerated (which kills the taste) and gassed to get that pinkish hue. They have no flavor, save a bit of acidity sometimes, and they are usually mushy.

Even real restaurants somehow miss out on tomato season. They have the same supplier year-round and buy they same shitty tomatoes even though there are good ones growing a mile away.

There's a farmer around here who gets tomatoes shipped from a Canadian greenhouse to sell in his market before his crop is ready. And they are better than anything in the store, even those things they sell still attached to a vine. I asked him why they're good. He said he told them he's not interested unless they'll pick them ripe, that he'll expect some damage in transit and he'll just charge his customers more to cover that, but if they send him the same shit they send everywhere else, their business relationship is over. But restaurants usually won't make the effort, for some reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted