1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McDonald's may do breakfast till noon, since millennials can't make it by 10:30

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Harris approves.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The McMuffin eggs are pre-cooked and frozen before they get to the store. But a lot of sandwiches have "folded eggs" that are made on the grill from an egg mix that comes in bags.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's funny, I was reading your Chipolte comments on my phone yesterday, while eating lunch -- at Chipolte. Now, admittedly, I was looking for something more upscale, but I wasn't in a very upscale part of town, so they were the best option.

Crowd seemed pretty diverse. Food is pretty good, though I felt like shit later. I may have eaten too much.

4. YankeeFan

They've got a couple of licensing deals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My anecdotal evidence suggests Chipotle is hugely popular among relatively affluent young folks who work in midtown. The line stretches down the block at their 50th St. location between Park and Madison. My daughter refuses to eat McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc., but she loves Chipotle and a relatively new (at least around here) and fairly upscale burger place called Smashburger, which I highly recommend.

http://smashburger.com/menu/tabor-center-3/

6. YankeeFan

Chipolte has done a good job of positioning themselves. They use a lot of organic ingredients, and "ethically source" their meat. And, they highlight/advertise those facts.

They've courted "foodies". They've sponsored food festivals, featuring their vendors, demos from top chefs, and live music. The event in Chicago featured chefs from Food Network and Bravo's Top Chef, as well as local chefs, and had G. Love and the Special Sauce performing.

The stores are clean. The line moves fast, and if you look at their website, and plan ahead, you can get a nourishing meal for a reasonable number of calories.

I still felt like shit after eating there though.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I've said it once and I will type it again:

Qdoba>Chipotle

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Must be a regional, or a franchise thing. The places I've gone to don't have them any more.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago, a lot of BKs (not sure it was national) were doing full menus in the AM. Didn't last too long though.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I consider myself a foodie and I'm also a millenial. But I'm also 28 and I support myself. I think your generalizations are a bit off.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

As someone who worked in a store, you should know how easy it is to streamline the processes. Believe me, McDonald's is the king of the QSR space. If anyone can do it, they can.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If that's all that's around, Qdoba works. Prefer and love Chipotle. Have eaten at the original many times. And the original Smashburger. There's also a small, Colorado-centric, Chipotle-esque outlet that is very good: Illegal Pete's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.