1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McDonald's may do breakfast till noon, since millennials can't make it by 10:30

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, if it's easy for one company, it must be perfectly easy for all of them. And cost-effective.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I quit eating mcdonald's breakfasts decades ago, but I thought their hotcakes were fantastic.

I'd get the same thing every time: Hot cakes, no sausage, and an egg McMuffin.

Damn, I am going there sometime soon. That sounds great.

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I went to a McDonalds somewhere in the Carolinas a couple years ago which advertized breakfast after midnight. It seems like that time frame would bring in more milenials than 11:30 am

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Foodies know Chipotle is paying attention, is why. The millennials of which you speak -- the ones who have guilty post-Boomer parents who pay for their lives -- tend to disdain any effort made to relate to them. You're either born coolly uncertain or you're one of those people who want something from them.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My brother was a franchise manager for Arbys' for 20-some years while one of my sisters worked for Mickey D's for about 5, rising to store manager.

Bro reported that Arby's would occasionally mull over the idea of introducing a breakfast menu, but the franchisees were highly resistant because it would require most of them to buy a completely different griddle setup (most Arby's items are not cooked on a grill) and many kitchens didn't have room -- many stores would have to knock out a wall to install them.

(Not to mention, of course, adding a complete breakfast shift.)

In addition Arby's for the most part has pretty much ceded the breakfast market to Mickey D and BK for about the last 30 years. So for Arby's in particular adding a breakfast menu was a huge controversy and when they tried it on a trial basis it was usually pre-bagged microwave sandwiches and similar stuff.

The franchisees' main objections, which usually carried the day, was that it would probably take the best part of a year, even if they mounted an absolute marketing/advertising blitz, to get the message through to the fast-food public that Arby's was in the breakfast biz, and in the meantime most of those breakfast shifts would be running at pretty much a dead loss.

With Mickey D's a lot of stuff -- burgers, sausages, eggs, hotcakes, etc etc. -- are cooked on identical grills, but they cannot be cooked on the same grill at the same time (the issue of kosher vs. non-kosher aside, management does not want to serve beefy-tasting pork and porky-tasting beef). So grills must be totally shut down, cleaned and changed over between shifts, unless they are designed in such a way to be separate in the first place.

The issue always comes down to, could they afford to allocate an entire grill to breakfast stuff in the afternoon and evening when the demand for burgers peaks.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I've found Wendy's chicken biscuits to outdo McD's now. Maybe it's the Honey butter they put on the biscuits.

But then again, Chick-fil-A has the chicken biscuit to end all chicken biscuits.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Disney and McDonalds are two companies that are amazingly good and what they do. If you are a parent, you marvel at their greatness with your kids.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It's times like this I remind myself not to take being in Biscuit Country for granted. Because one you've done Bojangles, or even Hardee's, it's very hard to be content with Chick-Fil-A, McDonald's or Wendy's.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I had not considered the Hardee's Chicken Biscuit when I posted. They are indeed worthy.

10. RickStain

I used to do the biscuit maker shift at Hardee's. That was a sweet job, other than getting up so early.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Burger King used to have miniature cinnamon buns, which I loved, but they only had them a short time.

12. RickStain

I worked there when those came out. I don't think I've ever seen a fast-food item be so popular so quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.