1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCourt to Boras: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 27, 2009.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You might never find out, but know that they're charging handsomely for the experience.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe not. Boras may have outsmarted himself. The shrewd pitch to Manny to abandon his option years in Boston would be for Boras to only get a commission over the money he would not have received, if not, Manny should file a grievance with the Player's union. Boras got Manny, at most, 5 million more than he would have but for opting out. Boras should only get a % of the 5 million, defered.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

key word is should

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Whut? Isn't he the pillar of promptness in spring training?

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Sounds like more than the deferred interest, the Dodgers wanted Manny to agree to being a good teammate and a good citizen. What a novel idea!

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm watching my back if I'm the traveling secretary in L.A.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Manny will not be a problem at all this year in LA. 40 HRs and 150 RBI are almost guaranteed.

Then the asshole agent will have him opt out again so he can go thrugh this entire bullshit again next year.

And the real reason for all of this is Bor-ass fucked up the Red Sox deal by giving the Red Sox the last two option years at $20 mill apiece

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Boras didn't negotiate that contract, if I'm not mistaken.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Correct, Jeff Moorad was Ramirez's agent when that contract was negotiated.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Other than that, it was a good theory.

I do agree that Ramirez will have another big season, knowing he can be right back out on the free agent market for the 2010 season.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

My bad. So Moorad fucked up the Red Sox deal.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

2010?

Substitute 2009 for 1929 and 2010 for 1930. If Manny opts out for the 2010 season he won't play again.The Great Depression was triggered by a sudden, total collapse in the stock market. The stock market turned upward in early 1930, returning to early 1929 levels by April, though still almost 30 percent below the peak of September 1929.[10] Together, government and business actually spent more in the first half of 1930 than in the corresponding period of the previous year. But consumers, many of whom had suffered severe losses in the stock market the previous year, cut back their expenditures by ten percent, and a severe drought ravaged the agricultural heartland of the USA beginning in the summer of 1930.

In early 1930, credit was ample and available at low rates, but people were reluctant to add new debt by borrowing.[citation needed] By May 1930, auto sales had declined to below the levels of 1928. Prices in general began to decline, but wages held steady in 1930, then began to drop in 1931. Conditions were worse in farming areas, where commodity prices plunged, and in mining and logging areas, where unemployment was high and there were few other jobs. The decline in the US economy was the factor that pulled down most other countries at first, then internal weaknesses or strengths in each country made conditions worse or better. Frantic attempts to shore up the economies of individual nations through protectionist policies, such as the 1930 U.S. Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act and retaliatory tariffs in other countries, exacerbated the collapse in global trade. By late in 1930, a steady decline set in which reached bottom by March 1933.

Draft saved Draft deleted