1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCourt to Boras: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Ticket prices will never drop as a result of a decline in what players are going to be paid. The two are demonstrably unrelated. Ticket prices will drop if the entire industry crashes.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since Ramirez and the Dodgers genuinely need each other, it is logical to assume they will reach agreement. It is also logical to assume it'll be for a lot of money. How much? My guess is the IRS will be the only ones who learn the truth of that-and they might not, either.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

They went in there to clean out his shoulder last year, but also determined he has no heart.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I would like to believe I was the first person to make that joke, at least in this case.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I just gave the PG-rated version. :D

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Boras didn't win. Its basically the same contract offered in November - and it has deferred money.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ti-mannysigns030409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&expire=1

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Couldn't he have made that much if he just stayed in Boston? Doesn't seem worth the hassle and drama.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, it didn't have as much deferred money, so Boras got more out of McCourt by rejecting the last offer.

The Dodgers had offered two years and $45 million, with $25 million deferred over the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons. (Sparking speculation, then, that McCourt was enduring cash flow problems.) The second year of the contract was at Ramirez’s option.

Boras then asked for two years and $45 million, with none of the contract deferred. The compromise, which Ramirez said he instructed Boras to bring to the table, brought the sides to within about $1.5 million of each other when factoring in inflation, less than $1 million after taxes.

Plus, Manny got a couple more days off.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Ding. Ding. Ding.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I was only off by a few days. :)

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Boras did win because he gets a commission on this contract something he wouldn't have received had he stayed in Boston

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I never figure this out - what the hell does Boras company do when they audit statements?

Draft saved Draft deleted