1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy woes could mean more layoffs in June....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Backyardigan, Apr 8, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Remember when McClatchy used to be THE place to work?

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yeah, back in the halcyon days of the early-to-mid 2000s. Life was so simple then.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

To all my McClatchey friends, vaya con Dios.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Furloughs AND a pay cut? So it's a lot more than 10 percent. Sorry to hear that.

5. owelles

owelles New Member

That's a ridiculous statement, and you can't possibly have any legitimate evidence to support it. There is a rumor that Modesto is considering it, because its new publisher came from the online side, but "everybody," as you stated? No way.

And while you're at it, learn how to spell the company's name.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, it is. Add in the loss of OT, and I imagine it's gotta be more than 15 percent less than what I was making when I first got hired. The cats are gonna have to eat Meow Mix while I eat raman now.

Oh, and there are no plans to go online only here, despite what Fredrick thinks. In fact my rag just signed a 10-year contract to have the paper printed off-site.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Wonder if the suits know that newspapers still need people to create ans put content online. Last I checked, there still aren't any robot capable of writing stories, taking pictures, laying out the section and sending pages.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes, Glen but they won't need half the shop they have now to put out a web edition.

Draft saved Draft deleted