1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to eliminate 1,600 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Igor in CT, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sherry Johnson, a top-notch SE, was laid off a while ago when it was decided to "merge" the Charlotte and Raleigh sports departments or some such.
    Other SEs have been let go. Not so sure whether they were in this chain.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In a business where there is a sea of change, this isn't part of it. You were fooling yourself if you ever thought otherwise.

3. 38 total in Columbia, SC. 11 in the newsroom. And 3 vice presidents.

http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/710154.html

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Well then, thank God we have a genius savior in our new president. All is well once again.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Greg Gibson got axed at the OC Register. Or are we just talking McClatchey?

6. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Freddie's pipeline reports that Mark Lawrence, an ASE, was laid off. No other full-timers from sports.

7. Blair Waldorf

Blair Waldorf Member

Tomorrow is deadline day at the S-T if you're taking the voluntary buyout.

I turned in my form today, so my last day in newspapers will be next Friday. I just can't take it anymore. I don't believe in the product, I don't trust the people running the company, I don't believe in a positive future and, for the first time in my life, I don't have the motivation to work hard at my job. My heart isn't in it anymore. I've given up.

And I know a lot of the great co-workers I'm leaving behind feel the same way - why should I bust my ass to do my job when it doesn't mean anything? The only thing that ultimately matters is your hire date.

I'll miss the people, but that's about it.

The S-T had a great run while I've been here. It's a shame that it's been destroyed like this, and it's only going to get worse. I'm just happy I at least got out on my own terms and with a check to show for it.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I certainly understand your decision.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't blame you, Blair. If they offered buyouts here, I'd probably take one. It's hard to work for a product that you know is less than it was a year ago, that you know the highest ups would gut in an instant if they think it will bring in an extra 50 cents. I'm pretty over newspapers at this point.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've experienced the same feelings.

Good luck to you and congratulations on getting out on your own decision. Spend a little of that buyout money on a good bottle of whiskey.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good luck, blair.

12. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

That is my shop in a nutshell.

Best of luck, Blair.
    You didn't give up. They gave up.

Draft saved Draft deleted