1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to eliminate 1,600 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Igor in CT, Mar 9, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

thanks, CN. Fixed.
    Fuckin' 14-hour days; I'm fried and apologies to our nation's founders for screwing up their Constitution.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

You didn't do anymore damage to it than the previous administration.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Those suckers would be hard to top.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Great, now I'm lumped in with Bush, Cheney and all the other motherless crooks. Thanks, CN.

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I actually think that's a great idea, we wouldn't be in near the mess we are now if this were the case!

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yay, government regulation comes to the newspaper business. can censorship be far behind?

Just wondering, do sports editors ever get fired? I know it happened in Fargo, not sure about anywhere else. Just wondering how my former bosses, and colleagues, are doing.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Since it didn't/hasn't happened, there's not much to debate but I don't think a law forbidding newspaper chains would fall under government control of journalism/newspapers. If anything, it would be promoting a truly free press. Ownership by people who truly cared about journalism and newspapers and not about the fucking stock price.

Another folly of my misspent youth: I used to think that every newspaper I worked for should have put every penny of profit back into the product. Every year, the balance sheet would never be over one penny in profit. Gawd, I was such a dweeb.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I think Zimanek in Appleton was the only other fired SE. Can't recall it happening to any other SE.

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Not a stupid idea. I like it. Just to be safe, though, while you're back in 1900, knock off all of Pruitt's direct forebears. Or bring along Arnold Schwarzenegger and let him handle the dirty work.

10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Is it too late for newspapers to declare themselves nonprofits? In practice, many of them are anyway.

11. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

It couldn't have happened to a better douchebag

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Work for Scripps just once. You'll spend your days doing it too.

Draft saved Draft deleted