1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to eliminate 1,600 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Igor in CT, Mar 9, 2009.

1. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I think it's still pertinent to ask, "How much is Pondunk Times, by itself, making or losing?" versus "How much is its corporate owner, as a whole, losing?"

It may not matter in what happens to these papers, given the corporate ownership structure, but it puts the whole "newspapers are dead and dying!" mindset into a slightly different context.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've been writing running gamers since I was in college and that was long before anything needed to be posted on the internet. It used to be for the early editions of the paper and now it's for the internet. That's the only change.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The ones that go into bankruptcy are losing because of corporate debts. The ones that are shutting down or threatening to are legitimately losing money.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Funny how the chains that have certain newspapers in the black will siphon off those earnings to buoy other papers that are bleeding red. But conglomerates that own newspapers in addition to other media or other businesses entirely won't siphon off the profits from those other enterprises to buoy the newspaper. They will, instead, push the paper into bankruptcy or close it entirely, while keeping their moneymakers in separate jars.

Who slapped the "Kick Me" sign on the back of the newspaper industry?

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Well, the newspaper I work at now is making money. Good money.

Problem is, a lot of other newspapers in the chain are losing a lot of money. My newspaper must funnel its profits back to the company to help make up for the ones that are in the red.

So in the end, it's a lose-lose situation for everyone involved. All newspapers in the chain are treated the same, regardless of profitability. We're all being punished for the mistakes made by editors and publishers hundreds of thousands miles away.

It's a sad state of affairs.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I knew starting the Sea of Tranquility Times would screw us over at some point.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

it was only a matter of time before they cratered.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Guy I used to work with lost his job at a McClatchy paper after only a short time there, like four months or so. Relocated and all that *** talked to another friend who said the layoff buzz saw was zipping through his chain like an out-of-control fire. Not McClatchy.
    Every night I want to cry.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Which chain?

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Hmm. Can anyone say, "Scripps?"

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I wish two things:

1. That this thread title was "McClatchy To Eliminate 1,601 Jobs" and the one was Gary Fucktard Pruitt.

2. I could climb into the Wayback Machine to 1900 and get a law passed that said something to the effect of: "Because of the importance the Second First Amendment and the free press has on this country, every newspaper in this country must be independently owned; there will be no newspaper corporations."

So, now dogpile me about that being a stupid idea.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Which amendment?

Draft saved Draft deleted