1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to eliminate 1,600 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Igor in CT, Mar 9, 2009.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Do the Star-Telegram cuts count toward this or are they going to be hit again?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't believe they count, but that's not a guarantee they'll be hit again.

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

A TON of former co-workers and colleagues in Raleigh, Columbia and Rock Hill. Good luck to all.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The next round of cuts at the S-T will be to shutter the place. There's nowhere else left to cut.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The news item says that McClatchy estimates the severance costs of the 1,600 lost jobs to to $30 million.

That's an average of $18,750 in costs to the paper, not all of which shows up as cash in the pockets of people thrown overboard.

Nice to know that these places are willing to come up with $19K a head to damage their product, betray their trust with readers, crush your career and jeopardize your (and your family's) well-being.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yes, they count. Last line of linked story:

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram in Texas and The Sun News of Myrtle Beach, S.C., also disclosed job cuts last week, which are part of the 1,600 announced Monday.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Aaargh. One of my good friends works at a McClatchy shop ... such a rotten fucking business.

8. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

absolutely disheartening.

especially since I just strung a game for the Miami Herald, and those guys were nothing but helpful and great to work with

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Miami Herald has always been one of my favorite papers. The Sacramento Bee used to have better NBA coverage than maybe any other paper in the country.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Guess it would help to, you know, actually read the story.

Thanks.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I concur. I worked the NBA Finals for them a few years ago and they really made me feel like part of the team.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Tacoma and Olympia will know "in the next week or so," according to an e-mail from the publisher.

Lots of friends scattered through McC, including Fresno, Olympia and Tacoma, which also has a special place in my heart. Sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted