1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to Declare Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Nov 14, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The only person in the newsroom who should endorse this is the crime reporter, because they would make a ton.

HanSenSE and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Had heard something about this years ago.

Big mistake, McClatchy. Then again, since the purchase of Knight-Ridder, you're familiar with them ...

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's turning into one of those gigs we laugh off the jobs boards, where one is paid in clicks instead of a real salary.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Seems to be some misinformation spreading about this. From my understanding, the discussion is about having audience goals be just a part of annual reviews, which I think almost all media companies large and small already have. Anywhere I’ve worked since 2013 has had these for staffers. You see national publications reducing staffers or contracted employees based off online audience regularly. Regardless of whether we like it, it’s the industry standard and has been for some time.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

McClatchy to close print plant near Triangle, will outsource to Fayetteville. Forty-eight full-time and 33 part-time jobs gone:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article248949789.html

Quotes are BS ... further proof that people in Sacramento are the pulling the strings and that the quotes come from marionettes.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Did this initiative progress any further?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Is that surprising?

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think McClatchy still prints for now in Charlotte. Is that the only McClatchy property that still operates a plant?

Has the company determined where Wichita will print after Kansas City moves to Des Moines?

10. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Another property to be sold off, that's what it's all about.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wichita is printing in Hutchinson. Belleville is printing in Peoria. Sacramento is printing in Fremont.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

So Charlotte is the only paper left with it's own plant?

Draft saved Draft deleted