1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to Declare Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Is that a McClatchey newspaper? My guess is they don't need individual publishers. Get rid of all of them will save a lot. Then I'd say trim five editors from each newspaper and trim an even 50 percent of the news staffs and get down to one or two ad people. That would be a first move I bet. My guess is most papers still have many many editors because of the "protect the editors, screw the reporters" syndrome. And the hedge funds would like a nice clean number of cuts in the newsroom. I'll say 50 percent.
    Just ask the Denver Post about cuts that don't make a ton of sense but are significant with their hedge fund.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

From last month ... No layoffs or salary/benefit reductions.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/article244474382.html

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's basically a weekly community edition of the Merced paper.

4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

FTFY

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Want to hit like, but for the fix, not the news.

6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Just like my post :)

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When did/does the new ownership legally take control of McClatchy from the bankruptcy trustee?

8. BTExpress

Internal email said transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals and is expected to be completed in September.

9. LanceyHoward

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. BTExpress

FWIW, Myrtle Beach and Columbia adding a boatload of people. I guess there is some cost savings by having Raleigh take over its printing. But Columbia's deadlines have absolutely gone to shit: From 11:30 p.m. at the beginning of the year to 5:40 p.m. now.

11. LanceyHoward

It seems like rolling up community papers into the larger regional daily is becoming a trend. CNHI seems to be doing a lot of it.

Consolidations come at a cost

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted