1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy to Declare Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, Nov 14, 2019.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Poynter article said Chatham has been relatively hands-off with its other media properties.

I can hope, anyway. Hope is a good thing, or so I've heard.

bpoindexter likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Heh. Heard the same crap at my last stop.

Two weeks later, two newsroom veterans gone. Four rounds of cuts in 18 months.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, etc. ...

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I don't have a three-year emergency fund because of rose-colored optimism. :)

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Without newspapers, hedge funds would not exist. Talk about viruses killing off their hosts.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes I was thinking this time the hedge fund will cut at least half the staff of all 30 papers and even some editors will go. I mean how is this hedge fund going to make $$ off this sale otherwise?

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

McClatchy still has a Washington bureau, no? When a new owner of a chain takes over I look the Washington bureau to determine how much commitment there is to quality journalism. If the bureau is gutted or closed then you know the new owner is a liquidator.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Correct.

8. LanceyHoward

Neiman went through the reports to the bankruptcy trustee of McClatchy. Post-COVID revenues are down 28% which means advertising is probably down more than 40%. Lee, in their conference call said their second quarter numbers would be similar. So it looks like Gannett and other newspapers are probably also looking at about 25% revenue drops.

McClatchy is currently roughly breaking even on a cash flow basis before the lawyers get paid.

9. LanceyHoward

How much has the market value of newspapers dropped?

In 1995 McClatchy bought the Raleigh News and Observe for 375 million dollars. At the end of 2018 Raleigh had the fifth highest daily circulation within the chain, behind Sacramento, Fort Worth, Kansas City and Miami and a touch above Charlotte.

The 30 papers within the chain just sold for 300 million dollars.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The owners, I'm certain, realized more benefit from 23 years of writing off their losses than they did from owning the papers.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How exactly would that work or benefit them?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Heads may be rolling already. Just saw the publisher of the Los Banos (Calif.) Enterprise, a twice-weekly, had his job eliminated.

Draft saved Draft deleted