1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy stock is going CRAZY today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Feb 7, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

As I write this, it's at $2.82, which is a 26 percent jump so far today. Still 95 percent off the heady days of 2006, but they appear to have staved off complete dissolution for a while. They had really been nose-diving three months ago.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcclatchys-shares-rally-as-cost-cuts-boost-profit-2012-02-07

Earnings story says they earned 49 cents a share, up from 17 cents a share a year earlier. We'll all be happy to know that cost cuts are being credited for the increased margin.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The displaced McClatchy workers can just buy stock with their unemployment checks. Everyone wins.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They must be trying to sell.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They have had these spikes before once they get below $2, so I tend to believe it's as much due to accounting tricks that they showed such great growth.

But if they do remain an independent company, I'm putting them on my watch list. They get down below $2 again and it might be worth sliding some money over for the run-up.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Weren't 4Q results released today?

6. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

They were. http://www.mcclatchy.com/2012/02/07/2456/mcclatchy-reports-earnings-growth.html

Draft saved Draft deleted