1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

For all the push for online content, for example -- the softball team is a from a town of around 1,500. On Facebook the story had a reach of nearly 62,000, had 935 likes, 306 shares and 71 comments. I don't know what more you can do

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

You're forgetting Lee ...

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Same here. When making pitches for same level travel to cover our high interest D-I college sports, the question I get from our EE is, "What do I get out of it?"

I tell him and he always makes a sour face and responds with some bad joke, or Office Space-themed meme.

I'd respect him more if he just said corporate doesn't care about doing the job right anymore

5. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

No. You would post it here and ridicule it.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I hope Ron was just saying this cause that's what we do. Protect the company, cause this graph is bullshit. He wrote: "But change is a constant. I began with a Royal typewriter and carbon paper. I’ll finish with videos, Twitter and Facebook Live. I can’t wait to see what’s next in our new digital universe."

What's next in our new digital universe? Bankruptcy. Don't protect the bean counters. They've made bad decision after bad decision, one of the worst decisions relying on facebook and Twitter. Ridiculous. The reason newspapers have relied on those 2 worthless entities is is costs newspapers NOTHING. So of course they are big on FB and Twitter. Other than that, nice farewell columns.
    I love the fact Jardine admits he took a buyout. There came a time a newspaper that cared would have talked him out of it. Jardine's company did handstands in glee, getting rid of that salary.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Forgot about the Heat. Thanks for adding.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

McClatchy's Georgia papers have taken a huge hit. Macon is laying off both of its prep writers, leaving it with just its sports editor and UGA writer, while Columbus is down to one writer in sports.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Are we going to eventually see the day when sports coverage is deemed an expensive luxury not worth the time and money, and papers just drop the sports section entirely?

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Perhaps. To use Macon as an example readers can pick up UGA content in lots of different places on the internet. Papers decide that their sports sections just can not compete with national websites on bets like UGA. And then they decide the interest in preps and local sports like minor league baseball do not generate enough interest to cover and just give up.

I occasionally drive through various parts of the country and I look at papers doing really nice preview sections on woman's high school soccer and gamers on Class A baseball teams. I wonder how many people care about these events to cover them.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Population 92,000. They have two people on the sports staff? Interesting. Is it possible to have 2 people put out a sports section in Macon, Ga? Somebody has to be the fall guy (gal) to be in contact with the design centers and "plan" the daily section. Do they work every day? This is crazy stuff.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Maybe sports sections will go the way of standalone business sections, which have become a rarity, even for bigger papers. The "section," if one exists at all, might be a page or two inside the A or local section. That's the case at my local paper, which used to have a dozen business reporters, a business editor and four assistant editors. Now, there's an editor and four reporters.

Draft saved Draft deleted