1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As a former paperboy many years ago I wonder how big the routes are. When I threw the Denver Post in the 70's as a teenager about two/thirds of the homes subscribed. There were four routes in our subdivision. I think most big city dailies are down to about 15% penetration. Now there are barely enough subscribers for one route of 100 in that large subdivision.

I made $80 a month and thought it was big money in the 70's as a 15 year old. But now adults would have demanded more. So routes need more subscribers but that means the delivery guys have further to drive. Getting up seven days a week also really sucks. It is nice to have a day off.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's a big part of it. Geography-wise, routes are huge because only a handful of people subscribe on each city block. And in the rural areas ...

It's a tough job due to the hours (and always having to work or find a replacement), plus the wear and tear on your vehicle. When so many other service jobs are available at similar or better wages, well, that's how you have 30 delivery routes without a driver.

3. LanceyHoward

I know some papers have gone to local mail. I wonder if that will become common place.

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Including some very good friends of mine - good, good journalists.

I did two terms there - 1982-86 as a part timer, when The Record added color to its already-ancient Goss press; and 1996-2005 as ASE and ACE, when then-owner Omaha put a good chunk of change into fixing/updating that press (late '96) and later laid it to rest in favor of newer, used press ('05). Good times. Now this.

5. LanceyHoward

The article said that Stockton will be down to an editorial staff of 16. I wonder at what point the paper will be sold and basically become a zoned edition of Sacramento or BANG. The editorial staff in Stockton will become a bureau.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I didn't want to start a new thread and didn't know to put this in GateHouse, Gannett or McClatchey thread but by coincidence, the past 2 days in a row I've been listening to talk radio in a major city and they referenced the newspaper a couple times. The context ... "before you see it in the morning paper," and then again I heard, "it'll be in the morning paper," and I thought, "WTF are you smoking radio host? The morning paper has a final deadline of 9 p.m., and there have been so many layoffs the morning paper soon will be a thing of the past." I also heard a news show on TV talk about the newspaper being one of the most important institutions in big cities. Yes in this era! In the past couple days all these references! Then today a high school kid tells me he is sports editor of his school's NEWSPAPER next year and they have 18 pages 12 times a year! WTF!! I'm telling you, the problem the past 15-20 years has not been newspapers not filling a need but it's been the fricking IDIOTS running these papers. GateHouse? Gannett? McClatchey? Am I forgetting anybody? These arguably are 3 of the worst companies in the history of business. They've single handedly taken a product that STILL FILLS A WANT AND A NEED and made it to where the product is on life support and guess what will replace the old newspaper?? Videos performed by newspaper people and podcasts performed by newspaper people on ridiculously cumbersome newspaper websites when TV and radio already fill that need admirably. What a joke! Seriously, you tell me you disagree with Fredrick about GateHouse, McClatchey and Gannett; I'm sure I'm forgetting some others. THESE ARE THREE OF THE WORST COMPANIES IN THE HISTORY OF THE BUSINESS WORLD. Agreed????

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Stockton's sports staff is down to two writers after these cuts, and this in a city that covers at least a half-dozen prep leagues, DI University of the Pacific, San Joaquin Delta College, the Advanced-A Stockton Ports in the California League, a NASCAR-sanctioned short track and two World of Outlaws races each year - not to mention in an area populated with fans of all the Bay Area professional teams. Still shaking my head.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Another team it won't cover: The Stockton Heat is the Calgary Flames' top minor league team in the American Hockey League.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I will bring this up because it is one of the three companies in the rant above.

I had to fight tooth and nail to cover a team at the state softball tournament, which ended up winning the championship, over a total cost of less than 300 dollars (2 nights hotel, mileage, 3 meals). The problem is that it would show up as a line item on the monthly statement and they would question it.

We have a baseball team playing to go to state -- I don't think they will win but it will be their first time ever. They are playing at a time that I could drive, cover, they lose and then drive back. They are considering saying no because they don't feel they can justify the mileage.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sacramento Kings have a following as well, although I'm sure they ceded that to AP ages ago. And it should be noted long-time editor Mike Klocke left a few weeks ago for a community relations gig with UOP.

Back to McClatchy: Two long-time Modesto Bee writers heading off into the joys of retirement, sports columnist/golf/colleges/Modesto Nuts writer Ron Agostini and local columnist (who has his roots in sports) Jeff Jardine.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

With apologies to Gordon Gekko: If McClatchy owned a funeral parlor, nobody would die.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it's getting to that point at my shop, too ... although we're family-owned. If it's not "one of our main schools" at state, is it worth going?

Problem is, it's hard to know that a month or so before the state tourney, when travel and hotel arrangements have to be made.

I foresee all our state tournaments/finals — even football and basketball — covered by stringers or by phone in the very near future.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted