1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Heh, that's probably because of fewer reporters.

Charlotte hasn't had a NASCAR reporter since theirs took a buyout in March. They've been using AP, and the SE wrote the lead from the Coca-Cola 600 (which didn't even make the print edition).

2. If you find an AP story high in our main sports feed it's because it's a big deal and we put it there. Sometimes they get into the bottom of the feed, but that's more about a slow time of the year.

There's a method to the madness in McClatchy, but if you're wedded to print you won't want to hear it.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looks like there was a layoff today in sports at the Merced (Calif.) Sun-Star. Down to one person there, if so. Can't confirm since the farewell story has been taken off the website.

This is my once-upon-a-time stop. Cover about 10 high schools, a JC and an NAIA school in UC Merced. Lot of the administrata comes from Modesto.

4. HanSenSE

Confirmed via Facebook post from readers. Sean Lynch off the payroll in Merced. Shawn Jansen left to soldier on.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's obvious that chain has no need for print but doesn't appear to have the guts to completely kill the print edition. Good luck to that chain if it's banking on making bank off ads for the videos (which aren't as good as TV) and internet stories (nobody's made money on the internet yet).

Bronco77 likes this.
  6. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

So you really are doing more with less?

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Exactly this. So many chains and papers are so quick to dismiss print and brush aside people who don't fall in line with the company line of all digital, all the time, but when it comes time to cash in on the ad revenue, then print matters.

If there's such a brilliant method to the madness that doesn't work if you're wedded to print, then kill print entirely and see how long you'll last.

Bronco77 likes this.
  8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Slight sidetrack, but I'm beginning to wonder if problems delivering the paper will kill print before the economics do.

Our deadlines have been moved a half-hour earlier again, in large part because we have 30 delivery routes without drivers. Apparently raises and sign-up bonuses aren't getting results, because my ME said it's impossible to find drivers and when we do find new ones (and give them the sign-up bonus check), they quit ASAP because they hate the job so much.

We had one morning this week where many papers weren't delivered until 9 a.m. A flood of complaints and cancelations quickly followed.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great great point, BUT suggest that your company hire a company to deliver papers. Obviously it's expensive (oops that word won't fly) but it's really a newspaper's only hope. You got to hire a good delivery company. The public won't deliver newspapers as you pointed out. The ME said it's IMPOSSIBLE to find drivers? Sure it is when you pay them so little. Got to hire a GOOD delivery company. Just got to. ... Or scratch what I've said and simply make the decision to eliminate print.
    This by the way backs up Fredrick's contention that the news writers and sports writers are the only people who can't use excuses. You are expected as a writer to work 24 hours a day and get paid for a 40 hour week when you really work 70. And they'll always find enough writers. Meanwhile ... IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to find drivers. LOL. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO SELL ADS. LOL. Of course it is, cause we've given up. We won't pay squat to delivery people. We hire the dregs of society in the ad departments (no offense, but cmon, you think you are hiring good salespeople? Get real). But the newsroom?? By god, work 70 hours and get paid for 40 and do what we say!

10. HanSenSE

Maria likes this.
  11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Columbia Daily Tribune also had layoffs today. I suspect GateHouse is on the cutting march now. :(

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

A remarkably candid story for a newspaper covering itself. It points out that the editorial staff has declined to 16 and that Gatehouse is still buying papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted