1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The two Modesto Bee sports writers who left in the last purge have started their own web site. A lot of football right now, of course, which means they'll be butting heads with Black Hat Football, but looks like they'll be offering basketball coverage as well.

Front Row Sports

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice site. Will it be free?

One thing I wonder is what product would attract more subscribers in a market like Fresno, assuming identical pricing.

1. A nice local site that covers the hell out of the local market, which I would guess is what Front Row Sports is trying to do.

2. Or a national site like the Athletic, assuming a Fresno State beat writer was hired.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

5. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

6. LanceyHoward

I will offer an opinion despite not being an expert.

What I conclude is that the McClatchy family, which has controlled the company for over 150 years still makes the decisions because of their voting control of the stock. Unless they decide to sell or the company goes into Chapter 11 they will remain in charge. I don't think the company is on the brink of Chapter 11. I think they will hold on for a while longer before they go broke.

I do not expect the company to be sold before it goes into bankruptcy. While the total value of the common stock is currently is about 70 million buyers do not want to assume the debt load.

7. Severian

This is until the older members die, and the children, who probably don't care about newspapers, sell the company to some private equity firm so they can become Silicon Valley venture capitalists and try "changing the world" by funding the newest thing.

8. LanceyHoward

I don't think a private equity company would want to assume the legacy debt.

9. Severian

Chop it up and sell it.

10. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Wait until they hit age 30 ... :)

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's hard to do. Right now you have a single wire desk of 7-9 people compiling national and sports wire copy to 28 papers, much of which fits nicely into page templates. If you cut it up, somebody would have to do that job for EACH of the papers.

12. Severian

They are about that age.

Draft saved Draft deleted