1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Matt Kawahara also is on staff, but there is no River Cats beat writer.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's who I was trying to think of.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Next up, Tacoma News-Tribune:

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That sucks about Tacoma. They've had some openings on the desk in the past couple years, and now they turn around and do this. Sucks for those newbies and the veterans who are all looking for work now. Hope everyone can rebound quickly, preferably in a more stable industry.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I heard Hilton Head got rid of its only remaining sports reporter.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

So in Sacramento we have counted Matt Kawahara (general assignments), Matt Barrows (49'ers) Jason Jones (Kngs), Aileen Voisin (columnist) and Joe Davidson (preps). Is Sacramento at five?

7. ncdeen

ncdeen Member

They did. Jeff Shain. That's an area with pretty good preps and a heck of a golf scene (RBC Heritage is there). And they have no one on staff in the sports department right now.

8. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Wow, and Shain had done some pretty good work there ... APSE-worthy, IIRC ...

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

McClatchey to me, from reading this board, seems like it is rivaling Gannett for worst chain. And it certainly appears to be one that has done the most to decimate the staffs of big city papers along with Gannett of course. a.) is this observation correct? b.) why the hell is McClatchey in business? Seems to me they are losing buckets of money and need to sell the whole damn chain before all the big city papers they own or large properties employ about 5 people in editorial total. WTF with this chain? Explain?

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have posted this before but in response to your question McClatchy is underwater. Because of their bank debt and the money they owe pension funds no one will buy them. Newspapers currently sell for four times cash flow. In calendar year 2016 McClatchy generated about 190 billion in cash flow. So the companies papers are worth under one billion dollars. Total long term debt is above 1.5 billion.

Revenue declined eight percent in Q1 2017 so this year will be worse. The company scratches up enough cash to pay the banks. As revenues decline the company cuts more to generate enough cash to pay the banks.

11. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Do any good chains/companies exist anymore, or is it just a matter of a few of them being the best of a bad lot?

I'd have given my company a solid B until early last year. Because of its actions since then, I'd drop it to a C-minus now -- borderline bad, but still far ahead of Gannett and GateHouse. Unfortunately, I could see either one of those hyper-acquisitive companies swallowing up our shop one of these days.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Jesus Christ. Worked with Jeff at 1HP and played more than a few rounds with him in South Florida. He got lopped off by McClatchy down there and now this. Excellent writer, great colleague.

Draft saved Draft deleted