1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Sacramento Bee fired laid off their sports editor, Bill Bradley, in 2010. I don't know if they have had anyone with that title since then.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I remember that. I think I saw that Todd Couzens (sp?) was listed on social media as sports editor. Of course, he might have had other duties.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm hearing there may be cuts in Modesto as well, which was already down to two sports guys.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Confirmed via former staffer. One laid off, remainder resigned after being told there would be no additions to staff. No sports reporters in an area covering three counties, parts of two others, two jucos and a High-A minor league team. Names withheld as per our custom.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think that the hedge fund fund that controls the Post hopes it turns around. The owners best case scenario is that things stabilize. At that point they can think about investing some money in the product or selling. But if it does not then when the paper goes cash flow negative, which will happen at some point will happen if revenues keep decreasing, they sell off whatever is left.

I doubt the Post closes completely because some national chain would buy the paper for the website, If Gannett did that, for example, they could dump a lot of USA Today material into the web product and keep a few reporters for key beats like the Broncos to provide a regional flavor.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No sports writers. Who needs a sports section anyway? It's the playground. If some high school or college kid gets in trouble the 2 news writers can cover it. Might be a good time to reinvent the business and have some people with money open up some new newspapers. Current media people can't do it. Not enough money saved from working in this business.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I’ve always wondered, what is the market for minor league coverage?

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

The McClatchy papers in the Triangle of North Carolina -- The N&O and The Herald-Sun (it's a consolidated sports staff) -- have not covered the area's two minor-league teams (the Durham Bulls and the Carolina Mudcats) since a short Bulls season preview and a story from opening night. No Mudcats stories have been written this season. In previous seasons, The Herald-Sun covered virtually every home game.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Print deadlines for Durham and Raleigh are 7:45 ET and 8:30 ET, respectively.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Dayum. What the hell’s the point?

fuscribe likes this.
  11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

If you pretend they don't exist, maybe they don't exist. Actually I'd bet it's a simple decision. No bodies to cover the ML teams. In terms of page views, they probably get way less than anything except preps. I bet they wouldn't even run stories if the teams provided the copy. Because it's not about serving readers any more, it's about those views so the CEO's can make the money they need for the boats and vacation homes.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Lots of us have been asking that for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted