1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Ailene if you read this board may I speak for the masses in saying you are (and were for them) a star. You will remain a star, just not working for them who do not deserve you. Folks, we all should be trying to flee from a business that would ever CONSIDER replacing such a person who has written so much quality and quantity for that publication over the years. Any news organization that thinks getting rid of such a talent is a smart business decision is insane. The Athletic should be dialing her number about now. 3-2-1 beep, it's The Athletic calling for this talented person. Please have her read this post if anybody knows her. I appreciate her work!!! And I hate the suits who made this decision.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Good post. Nobody is immune. What is insane is the amount of people who do not actually produce copy being kept on compared to the writers/columnists who are let go.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

The Bee now has three sports writers? Wow ...

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Eight desk members from McClatchy's west publishing center (there's also a central and an east) were laid off.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

15 total in the newsroom, including Voisin. Confirmed cuts (via social media or industry sources) include the labor rep, two biz reporters, a digital producer and the cannabis beat reporter.

Yes, three sports writers. You have to keep the Kings beat, and Joe Davidson is an institution there, but how long can you afford a 49ers beat guy? And what about the River Cats, the PCL team? They stopped staffing Bay area baseball when Nick Peters retired.

EDIT for link:

Latest Round of Layoffs Hits Sacramento Bee - Comstock's magazine

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I am not hoping that Joe Davidson gets fired but no one is an institution and immune from being fired anymore.

I sometimes look at the Bee because I follow the Kings and as a result recognize many of the bylines. I remember when we had a thread discussing in amazement that Sacramento was down to seven sportswriters. Now only three. They used to have three columnists.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In the fourth quarter press release McClatchy said revenues were down 7.5% in 2017. The company had revenues of 903 million dollars. They operate in 29 markets. So the grossed 31 million dollars a paper. While they operate in some small market papers the chain includes Sacramento, Raleigh, Charlotte. Miami, Kansas City and Fort Worth.

The company has 102,000 digital subscribers over 29 markets. Total digital advertising was down .6% for the year. I don't think digital is coming to the rescue.

8. HanSenSE

If we didn't know that already, that was reinforced when Fresno laid off both its veteran prep writers last spring, a week before section playoffs and with the state track finals coming to town in early June.

But yeah, back in the day they covered the A's, Giants, Raiders and 49ers home and away. I think both Stanford and Cal football was covered as well, at least at home. Now I don't think they even get out to UC Davis or Sac State if it's not football.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I subscribe to the FW Star-Telegram and the sports section has just gone to shit. Last week, the lead story was about ... a mock NBA draft. Come the fuck on.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I had thought there would have been a PDF of your resignation letter attached to this. My PC must be acting up.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  11. Old Time Hockey

Old Time Hockey Active Member

I've been out of the business for four years now, and the number of people still involved that I know keeps diminishing at an ever-increasing rate. News like this still hurts, though. Ailene is a first-class writer and, in my occasional interactions with her, a real delight to talk to and be around. I hope she finds a new professional home quickly, and that it's one that appreciates and deserves someone of her abilities.

12. HanSenSE

Draft saved Draft deleted