1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy layoffs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 16, 2017.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Charean Williams and Dwain Price are no longer at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Williams was there for 18 years and Price for 26. (It's on their Twitter feeds so it's public knowledge.)

Anyone else hear anything from FWST or any other McClatchy property?

2. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Good. Probably needs its own thread, but colleges and universities are overstaffed with administrators.

http://washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/septoct-2011/administrators-ate-my-tuition/

New Analysis Shows Problematic Boom In Higher Ed Administrators | HuffPost

Also, we shouldn't send so many kids to college. The vocational angle has been talked about, but there are a bunch of office jobs that don't require a college degree. We don't need more sociology majors from shitty schools.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks old and in a separate topic, but Fresno Bee layoffs included both local entertainment writers and three in sports, including veteran preps writers Andy Boogaard and Nick Giannandrea.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When I first became a Star-Telegram subscriber I loved that sports section. Very soon it's going to be nothing but wire reports, Gil LeBreton and (gag me) Mac Engel.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I saw this and my first reaction was, "What the hell? They might as well close up the sports department."

That was quickly followed by my next reaction, which was to feel ill. I know both of them and they are not only real pros but really great people.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Sacramento has been at seven for years except for the brief period when Furillo was the second columnist. How many are left in Fort Worth?

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Columnists? One. People with regular columns? Two.

da man likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trying to think of who's left in Sacto. Jason Jones on Kings, Ailene Voisin columnist, Joe Davidson preps, one RiverCats writer ... is Marcos Breton news or sports now? Do they have beat writers on the Niners and Raiders, still? Bill Patterson (Sac State/UC Davis) retired recently.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't read that paper as much as I used to so I am somewhat out of touch. I counted Breton as news (that is what he generally writes and he is not located on the sports pages). Matt Barrows is the 49'er beat writer. They had someone who covered the Oakland teams (Tim?) and helped out on other stories who I think is still there. I thought they had a second prep writer whoprobably does the RiverCats also.

How many are left in Fresno?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well played!

12. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

There have been layoff rumors at Tacoma (McClatchy) for weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted