1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy CEO comes out strong for papers in Miami Herald interview

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jersey_Guy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. One guy has jeered and doubted him. And even if we were doubting him, it's called skepticism, borne out of being burned by the business. It happens. As someone who works for a McClatchey company (as of today) I'm also hopeful, but waiting for the actual results.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Saying good things = yawn

Doing good things = super

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In case you've forgotten, we are paid to be doubtful. It's part of the job description.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

BINGO! Thank you all for explaining. Just like I found out with my girlfriend - She could say she loves me, but I learned she really did cause she SHOWED me.

It's cliched, but in this biz, actions do speak louder than words.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What did she do? Sign a prenup?

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

We don't need to go into details. ;D

Back on topic -- I'd like to be hopeful, and think Pruitt is a sharp guy. But I got to see some action, and results.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

No, we are not paid to be blindly doubtful.
    We're paid to find out the truth and print it.
    As for Tony's point about "showing you love me," McClatchy just bought a boatload of newspapers when few others in the world think their future is worth a damn. If that's not "showing you," what the heck is?

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

That's a first step. A nice one. But still, a first step.

9. Twoback, I think it's reasonable for those of us in the new McClatchey family to worry whether taking on all these new papers will lead to some "adjusting" down the road. And part of finding out the truth is at first doubting, and then verifying. In this case we can only wait and hope, rather than storm up to the corporate office and raising a shit storm.

Draft saved Draft deleted