1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McClatchy buyouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by First Inning, Aug 27, 2008.

1. First Inning

First Inning Guest

I'm surprised this hasn't popped up yet so I thought it needed to be on the board. Seems like McClatchy is offering buyouts company wide. Heard it happened to the Bees yesterday and others today with a deadline to accept of mid September. My question is if would you take the buyout if you only had a couple years of experiences (standard two weeks for every year worked) or wait and if they lay you off collect unemployment? Can you collect unemployment if you take a buyout? Will it be a nightmare to stay after the buyouts? Figure we have to have some people on the site who have taken buyouts, so I needed some opinions. Thanks for the advice.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This month's round of McClatchy buyouts includes Wichita, Sacto, KCMO, Modesto, Fort Worth, Fresno and Lexington (Ky.) so far.

The question of unemployment bennies after a buyout depends on how your buyout is structured. Mine allowed me to collect benefits. Others may have a different result.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would start looking for a new job and hope:

1. I find one.

2. It's timed just right so that I get the buyout and the new job.

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wait. didn't they just do some layoffs?

5. pallister

pallister Guest

And others.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

About three months ago, and they froze raises starting on Sept. 1.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Place I'm familiar with did buyouts, and those folks were eligible for unemployment.

Reason: It was a reduction in work force. A downsizing. The jobs weren't filled.

That was good enough for the state unemployment agency.

The only catch was, they couldn't collect benefits until after the term of their severance. In other words, those who got a year's pay had to wait 52 weeks. Then, if they still were unemployed or underemployed, they could collect benefits (those "underemployed" got a pro-rated amount).

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

call me confused. but don't you do buyouts before layoffs. just seems ass backwards to me.

9. they did a wave of buyouts at a lot of their properties earlier in the spring, before laying people off.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hearing through two Dixie cups and some string1 that Bradenton (Fla.) is also offering buyouts.

11. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Are Raleigh and Columbia, S.C., involved here, too? The word was that Raleigh was going to go through this again in September, so I would think it's part of this one as well.

12. We hear Raleigh is involved and something might happen by Sept. 1. Happy Labor Day.

Draft saved Draft deleted