1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McChrystal: Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One of my wingnut friends said Obama is the one who should have resigned.
    How did he figure that?

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Probably a descendent of those yahoos who thought MacArthur should have replaced Truman as president and that Truman was criminal in firing him.

Actually, I'm mixed on Obama's decision today. On one hand, you can't have generals or -- worse -- their staff openly disrespectful or critical of their Commander-in-Chief. Even the mere hint of insubordination can't be tolerated. You may be critical of your C-in-C's position on something, but as a member of the military, you're obligated to follow his order. Period.

Don't like it? Do what McChrystal did and offer your resignation.

On the other, it may have behooved Obama to take the big-picture shot here, slap McChrystal around here, scare the shite out of his underlings, then send him back. That way, you show the brass and their staff that you are running the show, that they serve at the pleasure of the United States people by way of the Commander in Chief and that you have faith in the job he's doing.

At the same time, it takes the steam out of the ridiculous perception that Obama hates the military. Of course, this all is moot if Obama wasn't thrilled with McChrystal's job in the first place.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, you know why.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Actually, the Dixie Chicks were subjected to a bit more than "criticism."

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

McChrystal did the right thing in handing his resignation. Yes, it's standard protocol that no military head, or even Cabinet members publicly criticize the Prez.

McArthur remains the standard when it comes to getting whacked by Truman.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Actually, we did see the Chicks, Dixie, performing with the Eagles at the Meadowlands a couple weeks ago. No one booed, although Boom stood with his back to the stage while they performed. Otherwise, it was very unpolitical. Sorry for the digression, carry on.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wait, you PAID to see the Eagles?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No -- comp from The Jets - plying us to upgrade our PSL's

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They comp the booze too?

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Eagles were amazing, see them if you can. I apologize for the digression.

11. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

McChrystal is a hell of a man and soldier. What he said may have been 100 percent on point, and I believe it likely is, but you just don't say it publicly in the position you are in.
    Unless you were just ready to head home and knew it would get you a one-way ticket back to the future from the Stone Age.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So this is "on point" too?

It's "insurgent math," as he calls it – for every innocent person you kill, you create 10 new enemies.

Draft saved Draft deleted