1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McChrystal: Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

According to CNN, he's resigning tomorrow.
    http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/22/latest-mcchrystal-developments/

Here's the Rolling Stone article, too, btw.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/119236?RS_show_page=1

First page is a little tough to read between the self-important tough talk, and his aides falling over themselves to agree. But -hey- they're loyal. As for the talk about Biden and others, screw it. They're politicians. Oughta have thick skin by now. Will be interesting to see how COIN develops from here. Much will depend on the successor, I guess.

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

On to Sen Kyl now and his calling Obama a liar over border security.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's still a chance that Obama could decline to accept the resignation.

I doubt he will & think that, based on what he said, he deserves to be let go.

It's insubordination & can't be tolerated.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I think he should be fired for giving an interview to Rolling Stone. That's the best he could do?

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

It was cross-promotion for his upcoming album with Eminem. Drops next week. Timing is everything.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

McChrystal is bisexual?

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Fucking awesome. "A little bit of this, a little bit of that..."

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Some said he needs to stay because of this point in the "war." I don't think the prez can let that kind of dis go, so the general has to go.

Joe Klein reported this afternoon he would resign but I think that got knocked back to let heels cool.

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This behavior was so monumentally stupid that I have to wonder if the guy wasn't looking to go out in a blaze of glory, or something, because he feels he's stuck in a no-win situation. How did he think this story was going to come off?

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Great interview on NPR of the reporter...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/06/22/128013176/journalist-surprised-by-reaction-to-his-profile-of-gen-stanley-mcchrystal

Basically, he was surprised as anyone that the Gen. and his staff was behaving like they did...and seems to chalk it up to them all being away from home for too long!

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I just think the reporter got lucky and caught a rare glimpse at the truth. The military doesn't think much of obama.
    it was all because of iceland volcano. Reporter dude was to get a day with the general and instead it turned into a week because they couldn't fly. And rolling stone's editor said most of the damning quotes came in the first 24 hours.
    and, he says, more is coming. They had to cut the article for space reasons.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

John Rocker says the guy got screwed.

Draft saved Draft deleted