1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCaw sues AJR reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Dec 19, 2006.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-mccaw19dec19,1,7280559.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california

Santa Barbara newspaper owner sues over critical article
    Story by Chapman University professor is defaming, the lawsuit says. Author's attorney says the suit has little chance.
    By Seema Mehta, Times Staff Writer
    December 19, 2006

The controversial owner of a Santa Barbara newspaper has sued the author of a magazine article critical of the paper's management, alleging it defamed the paper.

The lawsuit calls the American Journalism Review article by Chapman University journalism professor Susan Paterno "nothing but a biased, false and misleading diatribe" against Ampersand Publishing LLC, the holding company of the paper's billionaire co-publisher Wendy McCaw, which owns the Santa Barbara News-Press. The suit, filed Dec. 12 in Orange County Superior Court, seeks unspecified damages.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Anyone have a link to the original article?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wendy McCaw crazy? You stop...

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

http://www.ajr.org/Article.asp?id=4236

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That was definitely worth the 15 minutes it took to read. Pretty damning stuff in there about McCaw.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

hadn't read that before.. what a powerful piece.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks, Angola. A fantastic read.

8. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I know some of the people involved in this and I can say the the News-Press is one fucked-up organization. At one time, I'd have given my left nut for a job there. Now, not so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted