1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCarver: Manny's Lack of Commitment in Boston was "Despicable"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Oct 8, 2008.

1. You changed your mind in a week?

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I was comparing him to the TBS announcers. But, no, I agree with KP. Having watched Manny all summer, it was obvious when his effort was or wasn't into the game.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How about Randy Johnson tanking on the Mariners in order to get a trade in 1998? 4.33 ERA w/them in 160 IP, goes 10-1 w/a 1.28 ERA in 84.1 IP.

Then he conveniently signed a $53 mil/4-year deal w/Arizona in 1999.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

OK this is what I was getting at yesterday.

It's not like Manny just up and stopped trying hard in July. He's been a flake for eight years. Yet all of a sudden NOW it was no longer an acceptable part of Manny Being Manny?

5. But it was different this time. [/zagoshe]

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I see your point, but I think that Boston just had enough. Manny knew Boston needed him so they took his bullshit for awhile because they knew he'd still put up monster numbers. Manny's antics became too much this year and it's like that bully at school who just bullies you and then you finally snap. Boston had to pull the trigger and finally trade him because his excuses, his "Manny being Manny" was just too much. Sure, at first it was fun and games, then it became lack of running the bases, then failure to field his position.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right. I get that. I also think the Sox trading him had to be for SOMETHING beyond just not running the bases or fielding his position, b/c he's been doing that for eight years.

But what I'm getting at is the Boston fan--maybe you, maybe not, certainly Bostonbred--who defended Manny for seven years and seven months, but then suddenly decided that he was an idiot slob on Aug. 1. Manny didn't change a bit in those seven years and seven months, when Manny Being Manny was endearing. So why suddenly was Manny Being Manny no longer cool?

8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I don't think there's a definite answer to why fans simply turned on Manny and looked at him as an enemy and a third wheel rather than an asset. It didn't help that Manny spoke unfavorably of Boston before his trade, while, in the past, he has done that and the Fenway Faithful proceeded to 'boo' him then, too.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think that after winning two World Series in four years, they finally felt like they could take the hit, both from a public-relations and on-field production standpoint ...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

These are the same fans who for years wanted to get rid of Jason Varetek, then he lead the Sox to a World Championship and he becomes "Tek" .

Too many fans these days fail to accept the idea that sports is a business. Manny did what he needed to do to get some leverage back. I say good for Manny.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Personally, I'd rather have Jason Spellcheck. :D

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm a bit late, but bullshit on the last sentence. Manny was failing to run the bases or field his position when he was in Cleveland. That's part of it. You get a batting savant who just doesn't give a shit about anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted