1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCartney on Letterman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

For the needs of the Beatles, Ringo was absolutely fine.

One thing that's always puzzled me, though - when the Beatles canned Pete and brought Ringo in, George Martin still insisted on using session drummer Andy White on "P.S. I Love You" and a version of "Love Me Do." But he also recorded a version of the latter song with Ringo on drums and released that version as the U.K. single. The Andy White version became an album cut as well as the single in the States, making it the one with which we are most familiar. I just never understood why Martin went to the trouble that he did.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The guy could be out there with a walker and drooling through a kazoo, and people would still be saying 'he can still bring it.'

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Was it better than this?

[​IMG]

4. McCartney got in a good line about having played a rooftop concert before when Letterman asked him about playing on the Ed Sullivan marquee.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Martin at the time was really fixated on the idea that Ringo, who had just joined the band, wasn't "technically" a good drummer (As if "Love Me Do" requires complex and challenging drumming -- half the people on this board could play the drum part for "Love Me Do"). Martin changed his tune and became a big booster of Ringo later.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Phish stole it from U2.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Probably to impress Jodie Foster.

8. dieditor

dieditor Member

But U2 stole from these guys:

[​IMG]

Besharps forever!

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I have George Martin in a three-way tie for the top spot with J and P. That said, I like All Things Must Pass as a better post-Beatles album than anything 'cept Plastic Ono Band.

Alas, no mention of the guy who was the fifth-or-sixth-or-seventh Beatle back in earliest era. I met him and wrote a piece about him years back. The sourest man in the world. (Cross-threading Advisory: Those opposed to the use of says, please do not read.)

http://beatles.ncf.ca/william.html

I wonder if Sir Paul ever paid him the outstanding balance. I've never had time for Macca and I do manage to take a shot at him in the bionote.

o-<

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think Ringo as a drummer was comparable to John as a guitarist - not technically great, but plenty capable.

John couldn't do a lot of what George could do on a guitar but, as he proved on "All My Loving," if nowhere else, he could handle his Rickenbacker just fine.

George wasn't an overly flashy guitarist but he was a lot better than he often got credit for. Paul, of course, was by far the most proficient musician in the band, not to mention one of the most inventive bass guitarists who ever lived.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

geez, boys and girls, it's paul effin' mccartney!!! he need not ever write another song again. he'll always be the 1-2 punch of the greatest/most important rock band EVER!! and among its finest pure musicians (bass guitar) and pure rock vocalists in history. 8) 8) 8)

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone know why McCartney lost the Beatles catalog to Jackson - did Jackson just outbid him? I understand it created a rift, but what I don't get is either McCartney "sold" the catalog, or just didn't want it bad enough when it was up for bid.

Draft saved Draft deleted