1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCartney on Letterman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

LATE ADD: Astrid (Stu's girlfriend) gets a top-10 nod from me.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You forgot Clarence Walker. Paul still use Afro Sheen cuz of him.

[​IMG]

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Why is Stu Sutcliffe fourth? He couldn't play, McCartney used to unplug his bass when they played.

I DVR'd it, and can't wait to watch. I worship at the alter of McCartney. And whoever said he hasn't done anything since mid-70s hasn't heard Tug of War (1983). Also, Chaos and Creation was good, so was Flaming Pie, the Vanilla Sky song and I even like the Fireman stuff. He isn't afraid to try new things.

He also co-wrote Veronica with Elvis Costello, great song.

Some missteps, sure, but he has done some good stuff since the mid-70s. I'll defend McCartney until my last breath. I even liked Say, Say Say so there.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I rated Stu so highly because of all the people who could say they were the "fifth Beatle," he had the best claim, and he and his girlfriend were a huge influence on the band in their Hamburg days.

Another question, should Eric Clapton rate on the scale? He stayed George's bud even after he stole his wife and named a song after her.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, you're saying you celebrate the man's entire catalog?

I got your back on this one, Bob (well, except for the Say, Say, Say comment). Love Tug of War---some awesome tunes on there--Take It Away for one. Wanderlust is a lost classic in my view.

And I was going to post the same thing about Stu Sutcliffe. Dude couldn't even play. He was Milli Vanilli 25 before they were even born. Strictly on stage for the look, not the musical chops.

And George the 4th Beatle? My Guitar Gently Weeps for this generation....

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Pete Best deserves far more consideration as a Beatle than does Stu Sutcliffe, considering Pete actually toured and recorded with them before his unceremonious dismissal.

By them including some of the Pete recordings on Anthology 1, he finally reaped some real financial value for his association with a group that booted him off the train just as it was getting set to leave the fame station.

As for Paul on the rooftop, I thought it was pretty damn cool considering that theatre is where Beatlemania in the States really all began on February 9, 1964 - and he's still playing the very same Hofner bass guitar (not a replica, it's the actual bass he was playing in '64). :)

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

Interviewer: Is Ringo Starr the best drummer in the world?

Lennon: He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles

8. Mitch E.

Mitch E. Member

Please, he ripped off Phish, who played on the Ed Sullivan marquee five years ago.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. I think Paul and the Beatles copyrighted "rooftop" performances years ago.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think they passed the audition too. :)

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nice nugget about the bass guitar he used, Double J.

And the 1964 comparison is pretty damn cool, too.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Excellent (laughter all around).

And Captain, I celebrate MOST of the man's entire catalog. Even Gives My Regards to Broadstreet :) Pipes of Peace, maybe not so much.

I think Ringo gets a bad rap. I'veheard Pete best was better, but Ringo was regarded as a really good drummer when he in Rory Storm and Hurricanes.

And John Lennon can suck it as far as I'm concerned.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I thought Letterman's interview was a bit spotty, for him. I think there's still a bit of awe from Dave when it comes to the Beatles. McCartney was a pretty good interview, though. In good spirits, cracking jokes, etc. And he can still bring it; that second song - which I had no intention to listen to (I DVR'd it) was good.

Funny about Carvey - he actually told that story to Kevin Pollack in Pollack's online interview show weeks ago. I'm sure it was better there, since that show is much longer and uncensored.

Draft saved Draft deleted