1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCarthy drops out of Speaker's race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It was probably a mixture of the Benghazi thing and the emailed threat. He was probably weakened by the comment and didn't think he'd survive a fight over someone just "throwing it out there" that "perhaps, maybe we heard that you might have been having a possible affair" and said screw it, I don't want to play any more. The lunatic fringe has already made life so miserable for Boehner that he could see that coming for him as well.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time believing he would back out of this job he has always wanted because someone was saying mean things that he knew were untrue.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I really believe he didn't have the votes to win it and rather than run and lose, he decided not to run.

Everything else is just noise. Now he if resigns from Congress, then, yes, it was/is an affair. But he's still majority leader and doesn't appear to be giving that up anytime soon.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If there really was an affair, it isn't going to just fade away.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Haven't any of you watched House of Cards? Of COURSE it was because of an affair...and photographic proof of said affair.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's a vast right-wing conspiracy.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sounds like the HRC Cover Up Committee finally found someone to pay off to the tune of who knows how much money. And who knows where the payoff money came from? Which country?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Hillary's supposed to testify before the committee later this month.

That could be really fun, especially if some GOPers start asking her about emails and she responds, "I gave you everything. What does that has to do with the attack? Didn't you all say this whole thing is about the attack, and not me?"

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

22 OCT 2015. I have it marked on my calendar. Get the popcorn ready.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Her testimony is going to be behind closed doors.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Anyway, I think voters consider Benghazi and the e-mail matter almost as boring as Whitewater and equally irrelevant to anything going on in their lives.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted