1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

McCarthy drops out of Speaker's race

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Oct 8, 2015.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Isn't he the guy who beat Cantor? I'm thinking he's probably one of those who are less than enamored with the current direction of his party and trying to change things.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That's true. I just mean he's a good man who's done good things who would have been good as speaker.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

They can't lead their own party, but bygod them Republicans sure are ready to Bring America Back(tm).

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Look, there was no way a guy named McCarthy was going to work in such a high-profile position. He could have cured cancer on his first day, but all you would have heard about is the GOP's new 'McCarthyism' for the entirety of his term.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe there was a scandal:

An Internet address originating from the Department of Homeland Security was tied to entries made on the Wikipedia pages of North Carolina Rep. Renee Ellmers and California Rep. Kevin McCarthy, alleging that the two Republicans were having an affair.

It is unclear if someone at the federal agency actually was behind the edits, which were first noted by Washington Free Beacon reporter Lachlan Markay. But both changes — McCarthy’s and Ellmers’ — show that a user at the IP address, 216.81.81.85, made them on Thursday.

That address comes from DHS’ offices in Springfield, Va.

An alleged affair between McCarthy, the House Majority Leader, and Ellmers, became the source of intense speculation on Thursday after McCarthy announced in a closed-door meeting that he was dropping out of the race to replace John Boehner as Speaker of the House.

Both McCarthy and Ellmers have denied the affair.

Did Someone At DHS Edit The Wikipedia Pages Of Kevin McCarthy And Renee Ellmers?

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If this is true, it would be so disappointing. While McCarthy's wife is at home helping their daughter deal with lyme disease, he's getting a little something on the side? That would be horrific.

But I don't put much trust in someone editing a wikipedia page, even if it comes from a governmental office. If you're going to leak something like that, why not call a reporter? Then again, in this day in age, that may be how these kinds of leaks will start coming.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is this what they just added?

Ellmers, a Roman Catholic,[35] is a "family values" Republican with Christian values. She has said "As a mom, Christian and nurse, my beliefs have deepened through experience... I am pro-family."[36]

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Why are these GOP pussies crying in the back rooms of the Capitol? Grow a pair.

11. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

She's 51. Even if this is true, doesn't he get points for having an age-appropriate mistress?

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

And this is where we are in politics in 2015:

Holy Smokes, This Is A Real Campaign Ad!

Edit: I thought the video would show up in the link. This is what Rep. Ellmers is facing in North Carolina:

Meet Kay Daly. She's running for Congress in North Carolina's 2nd District, and in case you can't guess from her ad, she's a Republican. A real Republican, Daly says, not a RINO (Republican In Name Only) like the incumbent, Rep. Renee Ellmers.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted